May 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI is reporting that the Red Sox are planning on promoting Aaron Cook to the majors. The decision is today, he’d actually arrive in the next few days. The key here is that if he wasn’t on the big league roster today — or if he didn’t have an agreement in place with the Red Sox to make that happen as of today — Cook could opt-out.
Cook has been killing ’em in Pawtucket, going 3-0 with a 1.89 ERA in five starts. His success down there has led to some trade rumors of late, but the Sox have apparently decided that he can help them more in Boston for now.
But how does he help? Who does he replace in the rotation? The two who were most expected to have trouble this year and thus require relief from Cook were Felix Doubront and Daniel Bard, but they’re doing fine. Beckett and Lester aren’t going anyplace. I suppose Clay Buchholz is the most vulnerable right now, but really, one bad stretch won’t cost him his job, will it?
Bobby V. could go six-man rotation here. Or he could skip Bard once or twice, giving Cook starts and allowing Bard to be a true swingman. Or he could just use Cook out of the pen, though his low strikeout rate seems problematic for that.
But it’s better to have too many arms than not enough, yes?
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)