May 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI is reporting that the Red Sox are planning on promoting Aaron Cook to the majors. The decision is today, he’d actually arrive in the next few days. The key here is that if he wasn’t on the big league roster today — or if he didn’t have an agreement in place with the Red Sox to make that happen as of today — Cook could opt-out.
Cook has been killing ‘em in Pawtucket, going 3-0 with a 1.89 ERA in five starts. His success down there has led to some trade rumors of late, but the Sox have apparently decided that he can help them more in Boston for now.
But how does he help? Who does he replace in the rotation? The two who were most expected to have trouble this year and thus require relief from Cook were Felix Doubront and Daniel Bard, but they’re doing fine. Beckett and Lester aren’t going anyplace. I suppose Clay Buchholz is the most vulnerable right now, but really, one bad stretch won’t cost him his job, will it?
Bobby V. could go six-man rotation here. Or he could skip Bard once or twice, giving Cook starts and allowing Bard to be a true swingman. Or he could just use Cook out of the pen, though his low strikeout rate seems problematic for that.
But it’s better to have too many arms than not enough, yes?
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)