The Red Sox sign Mark Prior to a minor league deal

May 2, 2012, 5:00 PM EST

Mark Prior Reuters

It’s been nearly six years since Mark Prior threw a pitch in the majors. And since that time a number of teams have kicked the tires on him. He threw 12 minor league innings for the Yankees last year and that was mildly promising.  But really, is anyone expecting him to ever pitch in a real big league game again?

Maybe the Red Sox are. Because Jon Heyman reports that they’re going to sign him to a minor league deal. UPDATE: They did it. His agent just confirmed.

I guess everyone looks at Prior and sees 2003.  Good luck to him and them, but given his injury history and lack of any kind of momentum on any previous comeback, I don’t think anyone is holding their breath.

1. natstowngreg - May 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Sad. Once upon a time, he was really good.

It’s one thing to waste great potential due to lack of effort, drug abuse, etc. It’s another to be unlucky, health-wise.

2. 13yrsmlbvet - May 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Cue the duck boats.

3. royhobbs39 - May 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM

It seems like most everybody puts blame on Dusty Baker. I am just curious…Has Prior ever come out and said anything himself about the pitch counts and what it may have done to his career?

4. sabatimus - May 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Whatever happened to OSWALT???

5. dcollins8 - May 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Has nothing to do with pitch count. Look at his mechanics they arent very good

6. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - May 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

i like blaming dusty baker because, well, he’s dusty baker but he does have a fatal flaw in his mechanics, similar to strausberg, where the inversion of the throwing arm creates a lot of unnecessary torque on the elbow. it’s a shame, because i loved the way prior pitched. i hope he comes out of this with as a great story, even if it means doing well by the red sox.

7. dcollins8 - May 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Some people call that the inverted “w” I talked to a guy who used to run the mlb scouting bureau and essentially what he said is that style of pitching creates so much pressure on an elbow its crazy. Try and do that with your arm while you are at home and tell me if it hurts. Just imagine pitching that way

8. bigleagues - May 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM

In other news, the Red Sox have sent scouts to Burlington, VT to scout a long forgotten LHP . . . Bill Lee.

Unlike Prior, Lee has actually WON a professional baseball game this decade. Lee threw 5 2/3 Innings to earn a Win for the Brockton Rox in September 2010.

9. pisano - May 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Bill Lee has done way too many drugs, he should have been institutionalized years ago.

• bigleagues - May 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

1) He likes his Cannabis. Big whoop.
      2) Sight unseen, I’ll still bet Lee’s nutrition and physical conditioning is better than yours.
      3) In 2001, I spent the afternoon with him at an event I was running. He was as sharp-witted, affable and energetic as anyone I’ve ever met.

I don’t care who calls me crazy, but if there was one guy in his 60’s (Lee’s now 65) who could still get ML hitters out, I’d be willing to bet on Bill Lee.

Dudes a treasure and asset to the game . . . it’s too bad that MLB can’t find a way to use him as an ambassador . . . a baseball evangelist.

10. darbracer - May 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This clown decided that he would NEVER sign with the Twins, forcing us to take Joe Mauer. I just googled him to find out whatever happened to him, and this is where it led me. HA, serves you right, on behalf of Twins fans everywhere, thank you

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5049)