May 2, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
Pop quiz, hot shot: You’re one of the worst teams in baseball. You are starting a guy with a 6.75 ERA who has walked more dudes than he has struck out. You’re facing the defending AL Central champs with the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner and MVP on the mound. How’s it gonna turn out?
Just fine, thanks: The Royals and Jonathan Sanchez beat Justin Verlander and the Tigers 3-2.
It was tied at two heading into the ninth when Jaoquin Benoit took over for Verlander. After retiring the first man he faced, Benoit gave up a double to Mike Moustakas, who then advanced to third on a groundout. Up came Chris Getz who hit an infield single to short scoring Moustakas. Jonathan Broxton came in to close it out in the ninth.
As the saying goes, you can’t predict baseball. There are no Master Lock: Keys to the Game. Anyone who does the “What [Team X] needs to do to win” thing is wasting time. Baseball just happens. Sometimes the worst beats the best. And it means little, because there’s another game tomorrow.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-years deal at close to $100 million 0
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 15
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)