May 2, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
Pop quiz, hot shot: You’re one of the worst teams in baseball. You are starting a guy with a 6.75 ERA who has walked more dudes than he has struck out. You’re facing the defending AL Central champs with the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner and MVP on the mound. How’s it gonna turn out?
Just fine, thanks: The Royals and Jonathan Sanchez beat Justin Verlander and the Tigers 3-2.
It was tied at two heading into the ninth when Jaoquin Benoit took over for Verlander. After retiring the first man he faced, Benoit gave up a double to Mike Moustakas, who then advanced to third on a groundout. Up came Chris Getz who hit an infield single to short scoring Moustakas. Jonathan Broxton came in to close it out in the ninth.
As the saying goes, you can’t predict baseball. There are no Master Lock: Keys to the Game. Anyone who does the “What [Team X] needs to do to win” thing is wasting time. Baseball just happens. Sometimes the worst beats the best. And it means little, because there’s another game tomorrow.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (136)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)