A.J. Burnett rocked for 12 runs in this season’s worst pitching performance

May 3, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

A.J. Burnett pitched well in his first two starts after returning from a fractured orbital bone, coming off the disabled list with seven shutout innings on April 21 and then tossing six innings of two-run ball on April 27.

Those seven scoreless frames came against St. Louis, but last night that same Cardinals lineup clobbered Burnett for 12 runs in 2.2 innings as his ERA rose from 1.38 to 8.04.

In taking the ugly loss Burnett becomes the first pitcher this season (and the first pitcher in nearly an entire calendar year) to allow a dozen or more runs. Jaime Garcia was the last to do so on May 28 of last year and Vin Mazzaro also allowed 14 runs in a game last season, but amazingly did so in a relief appearance as the Royals basically just made him serve as a punching bag.

During the past 10 seasons a pitcher has allowed 12 or more runs a total of just 11 times, including zero instances in 2009, 2004, and 2002. Jason Marquis and Jon Garland remarkably both accomplished that feat twice in that time, which I suppose gives Burnett something to do shoot for.

1. randygnyc - May 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

He’s BACK!!!! The most earned runs in less than 3 innings since 1932 (I think I read that stat on tv last night)

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

How much of his salary are the Yankees picking up?

• anxovies - May 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Whatever it is, it’s worth it not to have him on the mound in pinstripes.

2. heynerdlinger - May 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

The worst part about this is that he’s not doing it for the Yankees.

3. dodger88 - May 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

With back to back outings against the Cards, he may have been tipping his pitches and they picked up on it.

4. frankvzappa - May 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Even though he is no longer a Yankee, the Schadenfreude lingers…

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Talk about a tough day at the office.

6. pisano - May 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Somethings just never change. I actually thought getting out of NY would help him, and I honestly thought he would be a winner with the Pirates, but it’s the same old A.J. Burnett.

7. mybrunoblog - May 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Dear Pirates fans,

Enjoy.

Yours Truly,
    Yankees fans

8. florida76 - May 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

pisano, I couldn’t agree more with your comments. Burnett is truly finished, he won’t be a winner for the Pirates. Only two good pitching performances out of three, and I’ve never, ever, seen a pitcher have a rough outing and go on to have a good year. It doesn’t happen.

Bucs are a few games out of the second wildcard after 23 games in this season, so obviously there’s no hope at all. And I can tell you something right now, the starting third baseman is truly a bust, have you seen him hit lately?

• pisano - May 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

florida76…. I haven’t seen their third baseman, but could he be as bad as Edwardo (hands of stone) Nunez? Getting back to AJ, it’s a shame that arm of his has to be wasted on his brain, I feel a lot of his problem is in mental make-up.

9. yankeesgameday - May 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Seattle 1
    Yankees 0
    Pirates 0

10. jimmymarlinsfan - May 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I can only hoe outing like this get my little cousin, Jeff Locke called back up all the sooner as he has found his groove at AAA

• jimmymarlinsfan - May 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hope…not hoe; for love of damn auto correct

11. 303bengalguy - May 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I wish he was related to Randy Johnson so I.could make Ozzie Canseco comparisons.

All the trade deadline news to know