May 3, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
A.J. Burnett pitched well in his first two starts after returning from a fractured orbital bone, coming off the disabled list with seven shutout innings on April 21 and then tossing six innings of two-run ball on April 27.
Those seven scoreless frames came against St. Louis, but last night that same Cardinals lineup clobbered Burnett for 12 runs in 2.2 innings as his ERA rose from 1.38 to 8.04.
In taking the ugly loss Burnett becomes the first pitcher this season (and the first pitcher in nearly an entire calendar year) to allow a dozen or more runs. Jaime Garcia was the last to do so on May 28 of last year and Vin Mazzaro also allowed 14 runs in a game last season, but amazingly did so in a relief appearance as the Royals basically just made him serve as a punching bag.
During the past 10 seasons a pitcher has allowed 12 or more runs a total of just 11 times, including zero instances in 2009, 2004, and 2002. Jason Marquis and Jon Garland remarkably both accomplished that feat twice in that time, which I suppose gives Burnett something to do shoot for.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)