May 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
In an effort to improve a bullpen which enters play tonight with a 5.08 ERA, the Angels have acquired right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres in exchange for infielder-outfielder Alexi Amarista and right-hander Donn Roach.
Frieri, the longest tenured player in the Padres’ organization, has an impressive 2.33 ERA over 103 relief appearances in the big leagues. He has averaged 11.38 K/9 during his career, which is sixth-highest among pitchers who have thrown at least 100 innings since 2009. While it’s clear that Frieri can miss some bats, he has also averaged 4.7 BB/9 in the big leagues and has a career fly ball rate of 56.9 percent. He might miss pitching in PETCO Park.
Amarista has seen limited time with the Angels in each of the past two seasons. The 23-year-old has a .313/.370/.441 batting line over six seasons in the minors and profiles as a potential utility player. Roach, a 2010 third-round pick, has pitched as both a starter and reliever during his brief pro career. The 22-year-old had a 2.16 ERA and 29/3 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings over six starts with High-A Inland Empire this season. Amarista was ranked as the organization’s No. 19 prospect by Baseball America this offseason while Roach checked in at No .23.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (316)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)