May 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
In an effort to improve a bullpen which enters play tonight with a 5.08 ERA, the Angels have acquired right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres in exchange for infielder-outfielder Alexi Amarista and right-hander Donn Roach.
Frieri, the longest tenured player in the Padres’ organization, has an impressive 2.33 ERA over 103 relief appearances in the big leagues. He has averaged 11.38 K/9 during his career, which is sixth-highest among pitchers who have thrown at least 100 innings since 2009. While it’s clear that Frieri can miss some bats, he has also averaged 4.7 BB/9 in the big leagues and has a career fly ball rate of 56.9 percent. He might miss pitching in PETCO Park.
Amarista has seen limited time with the Angels in each of the past two seasons. The 23-year-old has a .313/.370/.441 batting line over six seasons in the minors and profiles as a potential utility player. Roach, a 2010 third-round pick, has pitched as both a starter and reliever during his brief pro career. The 22-year-old had a 2.16 ERA and 29/3 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings over six starts with High-A Inland Empire this season. Amarista was ranked as the organization’s No. 19 prospect by Baseball America this offseason while Roach checked in at No .23.
- Michael Wacha to make first rehab start Sunday with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals 0
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 20
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (90)