May 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
In an effort to improve a bullpen which enters play tonight with a 5.08 ERA, the Angels have acquired right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres in exchange for infielder-outfielder Alexi Amarista and right-hander Donn Roach.
Frieri, the longest tenured player in the Padres’ organization, has an impressive 2.33 ERA over 103 relief appearances in the big leagues. He has averaged 11.38 K/9 during his career, which is sixth-highest among pitchers who have thrown at least 100 innings since 2009. While it’s clear that Frieri can miss some bats, he has also averaged 4.7 BB/9 in the big leagues and has a career fly ball rate of 56.9 percent. He might miss pitching in PETCO Park.
Amarista has seen limited time with the Angels in each of the past two seasons. The 23-year-old has a .313/.370/.441 batting line over six seasons in the minors and profiles as a potential utility player. Roach, a 2010 third-round pick, has pitched as both a starter and reliever during his brief pro career. The 22-year-old had a 2.16 ERA and 29/3 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings over six starts with High-A Inland Empire this season. Amarista was ranked as the organization’s No. 19 prospect by Baseball America this offseason while Roach checked in at No .23.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)