May 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
In an effort to improve a bullpen which enters play tonight with a 5.08 ERA, the Angels have acquired right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres in exchange for infielder-outfielder Alexi Amarista and right-hander Donn Roach.
Frieri, the longest tenured player in the Padres’ organization, has an impressive 2.33 ERA over 103 relief appearances in the big leagues. He has averaged 11.38 K/9 during his career, which is sixth-highest among pitchers who have thrown at least 100 innings since 2009. While it’s clear that Frieri can miss some bats, he has also averaged 4.7 BB/9 in the big leagues and has a career fly ball rate of 56.9 percent. He might miss pitching in PETCO Park.
Amarista has seen limited time with the Angels in each of the past two seasons. The 23-year-old has a .313/.370/.441 batting line over six seasons in the minors and profiles as a potential utility player. Roach, a 2010 third-round pick, has pitched as both a starter and reliever during his brief pro career. The 22-year-old had a 2.16 ERA and 29/3 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings over six starts with High-A Inland Empire this season. Amarista was ranked as the organization’s No. 19 prospect by Baseball America this offseason while Roach checked in at No .23.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)