May 3, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
In an effort to improve a bullpen which enters play tonight with a 5.08 ERA, the Angels have acquired right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres in exchange for infielder-outfielder Alexi Amarista and right-hander Donn Roach.
Frieri, the longest tenured player in the Padres’ organization, has an impressive 2.33 ERA over 103 relief appearances in the big leagues. He has averaged 11.38 K/9 during his career, which is sixth-highest among pitchers who have thrown at least 100 innings since 2009. While it’s clear that Frieri can miss some bats, he has also averaged 4.7 BB/9 in the big leagues and has a career fly ball rate of 56.9 percent. He might miss pitching in PETCO Park.
Amarista has seen limited time with the Angels in each of the past two seasons. The 23-year-old has a .313/.370/.441 batting line over six seasons in the minors and profiles as a potential utility player. Roach, a 2010 third-round pick, has pitched as both a starter and reliever during his brief pro career. The 22-year-old had a 2.16 ERA and 29/3 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings over six starts with High-A Inland Empire this season. Amarista was ranked as the organization’s No. 19 prospect by Baseball America this offseason while Roach checked in at No .23.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)