May 3, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
3:29 PM: As this post goes up the Cubs-Reds game is still going on. But it shouldn’t be. And for that, we have Carlos Marmol to thank. Or blame, if you’re so inclined.
Ryan Dempster shut out the Reds for eight innings and Carlos Marmol took the hill in the ninth with a 3-0 lead. Then this happened:
- Fielder’s choice/error, a runner scores
- Single to load the bases
- Walk, a runner scores
And with that it was 3-2 Cubs. Rafael Dolis then came in to relieve Marmol, induced a run-scoring double play and then struck out the next batter he faced. It’s 3-3 in extra innings as this one goes to press.
Marmol is a hot mess right now. As Dave Cameron just pointed out on Twitter, he has walked over 25% of the batters he has faced this year. That’s just not acceptable. Something’s gotta change.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)