May 3, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
3:29 PM: As this post goes up the Cubs-Reds game is still going on. But it shouldn’t be. And for that, we have Carlos Marmol to thank. Or blame, if you’re so inclined.
Ryan Dempster shut out the Reds for eight innings and Carlos Marmol took the hill in the ninth with a 3-0 lead. Then this happened:
- Fielder’s choice/error, a runner scores
- Single to load the bases
- Walk, a runner scores
And with that it was 3-2 Cubs. Rafael Dolis then came in to relieve Marmol, induced a run-scoring double play and then struck out the next batter he faced. It’s 3-3 in extra innings as this one goes to press.
Marmol is a hot mess right now. As Dave Cameron just pointed out on Twitter, he has walked over 25% of the batters he has faced this year. That’s just not acceptable. Something’s gotta change.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)