May 3, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
3:29 PM: As this post goes up the Cubs-Reds game is still going on. But it shouldn’t be. And for that, we have Carlos Marmol to thank. Or blame, if you’re so inclined.
Ryan Dempster shut out the Reds for eight innings and Carlos Marmol took the hill in the ninth with a 3-0 lead. Then this happened:
- Fielder’s choice/error, a runner scores
- Single to load the bases
- Walk, a runner scores
And with that it was 3-2 Cubs. Rafael Dolis then came in to relieve Marmol, induced a run-scoring double play and then struck out the next batter he faced. It’s 3-3 in extra innings as this one goes to press.
Marmol is a hot mess right now. As Dave Cameron just pointed out on Twitter, he has walked over 25% of the batters he has faced this year. That’s just not acceptable. Something’s gotta change.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)