May 3, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Dempster has been out since April 18 with a quadriceps injury, while Wood has been sidelined by a shoulder injury since April 14.
Earlier this week manager Dale Sveum indicated that he might work Wood back into the late-inning mix somewhat slowly, perhaps giving him some appearances in the sixth- and seventh-innings as opposed to his usual eighth-inning role.
Dempster will return with a start this afternoon versus the Reds in Cincinnati, where he pitched for two seasons before joining the Cubs in 2004.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)