May 3, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Dempster has been out since April 18 with a quadriceps injury, while Wood has been sidelined by a shoulder injury since April 14.
Earlier this week manager Dale Sveum indicated that he might work Wood back into the late-inning mix somewhat slowly, perhaps giving him some appearances in the sixth- and seventh-innings as opposed to his usual eighth-inning role.
Dempster will return with a start this afternoon versus the Reds in Cincinnati, where he pitched for two seasons before joining the Cubs in 2004.
- Cardinals sign Cuban infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 0
- UPDATE: Ervin Santana is prepared to wait “days” before signing 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)