May 3, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Eric Chavez has a pretty rich injury history, but this one is a lot different than a bum shoulder or knee or something. He left last night’s Yankees-Orioles game in the middle of an at bat due to what is being called whiplash and concussion symptoms.
After taking a called strike two, Chavez attempted to set himself in the batter’s box but called time and appeared to steady himself by grabbing his left thigh. He tried to steady himself again then stepped out. Chavez needed to be helped off the field and paused before being helped down the dugout steps.
He was taken to the hospital for head and spine scans and had not returned before the team left the ballpark and the reporters went home.
One has to assume he’ll be put on the disabled list, even if it’s only on the seven-day concussion list. At least one hopes that’s all this is.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)