May 3, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Eric Chavez has a pretty rich injury history, but this one is a lot different than a bum shoulder or knee or something. He left last night’s Yankees-Orioles game in the middle of an at bat due to what is being called whiplash and concussion symptoms.
After taking a called strike two, Chavez attempted to set himself in the batter’s box but called time and appeared to steady himself by grabbing his left thigh. He tried to steady himself again then stepped out. Chavez needed to be helped off the field and paused before being helped down the dugout steps.
He was taken to the hospital for head and spine scans and had not returned before the team left the ballpark and the reporters went home.
One has to assume he’ll be put on the disabled list, even if it’s only on the seven-day concussion list. At least one hopes that’s all this is.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 29
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 3
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 55
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)