May 3, 2012, 8:52 AM EST
Eric Chavez has a pretty rich injury history, but this one is a lot different than a bum shoulder or knee or something. He left last night’s Yankees-Orioles game in the middle of an at bat due to what is being called whiplash and concussion symptoms.
After taking a called strike two, Chavez attempted to set himself in the batter’s box but called time and appeared to steady himself by grabbing his left thigh. He tried to steady himself again then stepped out. Chavez needed to be helped off the field and paused before being helped down the dugout steps.
He was taken to the hospital for head and spine scans and had not returned before the team left the ballpark and the reporters went home.
One has to assume he’ll be put on the disabled list, even if it’s only on the seven-day concussion list. At least one hopes that’s all this is.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)