May 3, 2012, 8:52 AM EST
Eric Chavez has a pretty rich injury history, but this one is a lot different than a bum shoulder or knee or something. He left last night’s Yankees-Orioles game in the middle of an at bat due to what is being called whiplash and concussion symptoms.
After taking a called strike two, Chavez attempted to set himself in the batter’s box but called time and appeared to steady himself by grabbing his left thigh. He tried to steady himself again then stepped out. Chavez needed to be helped off the field and paused before being helped down the dugout steps.
He was taken to the hospital for head and spine scans and had not returned before the team left the ballpark and the reporters went home.
One has to assume he’ll be put on the disabled list, even if it’s only on the seven-day concussion list. At least one hopes that’s all this is.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)