May 3, 2012, 1:33 AM EDT
To put it mildly, the Braves and Phillies played a wild one on Wednesday, with Atlanta winning 15-13 on Chipper Jones‘ walkoff homer in the 11th. It was the highest-scoring extra-inning game since 2006.
Here are a few things one doesn’t see everyday:
- Roy Halladay gave up eight runs, the most he had allowed since surrendering nine on May 5, 2007 against the Rangers.
- Halladay was working with a 6-0 lead when he gave up six runs in the fifth inning and then two more in the sixth. He was 107-0 in his career in starts in which he was given a four-run lead. The Phillies, though, let him off the hook by rallying in the seventh.
- Brian McCann hit just the fourth grand slam ever given up by Halladay (Evan Longoria hit the last in 2008). He was then poked in the eye by Michael Bourn on an errant high-five after crossing the plate.
- That was the first homer allowed by Halladay in six starts this season.
- Carlos Ruiz knocked in seven runs, besting his previous career high by two. He was the first Phillie to drive in so many runs since Jayson Werth had eight RBI against the Blue Jays on May 16, 2008. The Phillies had previously been 15-0 with Ruiz driving in at least three runs.
- Jones’s walkoff was his first since May 17, 2006 against the Marlins. It was the eighth of his career.
- 2011 NL Rookie of the Year Craig Kimbrel blew his first save in nine chances this season.
- The Phillies lost a game in which they scored 12 runs for the first time since Aug. 3, 1969.
- According to Fangraphs data, the Braves had a 2.3 percent of winning the game at one point in the fifth, saw that jump to 86.9 percent after taking an 8-6 lead in the sixth, dropped all the way back down to 2.7 percent after falling behind 12-8 in the eighth and jumped back up to 87.1 percent after taking a 13-12 lead in the ninth.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)