May 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Last night was a good night to stink because so much other stuff was happening. This is especially true if your team won. And it’s especially true if the stat that says you stink — blown save — was given to another guy. But don’t think you got away with this, Heath Bell, we were watching. You screwed up again.
Bell was called into the ninth inning of the Marlins-Giants game with his team on top 2-0. He then allowed two runs on three hits while failing to record an out. He was bailed out of the blown save when Ozzie Guillen put in Steve Cishek to try to clean up Bell’s mess, but the Giants tying the game in the ninth was really Bell’s doing. Giancarlo Stanton‘s 10th inning homer salvaged things.
Bell now has an 11.74 ERA, has allowed 13 hits in seven and two-thirds innings and has blown four saves. Lesser struggles caused Ozzie Guillen to move Jose Reyes down in the lineup. Will he do something about the Marlins’ closer situation now?
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)