It’s officially “Natitude” weekend in Washington

May 3, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Phillies fans AP

We’ve been talking about this for months, but that first Phillies-in-DC weekend is upon us, and so we revisit the whole idea of Phillies fans invading Nationals Park and people in Washington getting bent out of shape about it.

Back in February we learned of the Nats’ efforts to combat the invading horde.  Now, according to the Nats, it’s gone official:

An official proclamation from the mayor. Wow.

I just wonder if it ever occurred to people in Washington that if, you know, no one ever complained about all the Phillies fans that maybe this wouldn’t be that big a thing.  How many tickets have been sold to these guys simply because they know it annoys the Nats fans?

Oh well. Have fun, everyone.

(h/t DC Sports Bog)

1. shaggylocks - May 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM

“How many tickets have been sold to these guys simply because they know it annoys the Nats fans?”

I think you just inadvertently revealed the front office’s strategy. As long as you’re selling tickets and those folks are buying concessions, who cares who they’re rooting for?

• natstowngreg - May 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

That’s what Stan Kasten did a few years ago, when he encouraged Phillies’ fans to visit. However, when the Phillies infestation roundly booed Ryan Zimmerman on Opening Day, in his home park, that was the proverbial last straw.

However, I think suggesting that they buy tickets out of spite is just a touch overboard. As non-obnoxious Phillies fans I’ve met (yes, such people exist) have told me, they can’t get seats at CBP, so they go to New York, Pittsburgh, and Washington to see their favorites in person. I look forward to the day when CBP becomes Nats Park North.

In the meantime, the infestation will continue, regardless of Nats management, the District of Columbia government, or anyone else. The cure, as I’ve said many times, is winning. Then fans like me, who have endured much bad baseball since 2005, will be joined by the front-runners, who will crowd out the Phillies fans. Hope that starts this weekend. I’ll be there Sunday night to see.

• bravojawja - May 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I can only assume Kasten came up with the idea after spending time with the Braves and all the Displaced Yankees who come out of the woodwork when any team from NY/Philly/Boston/Chicago is in town. The same goes for the Hawks and Falcons (and Thrashers, RIP).

Then again, if it weren’t for them, we couldn’t pay Dan Uggla to swing and miss at a pitch in the dirt for strike three. Just like Andruw Jones!

2. drakej541 - May 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I thought it was common place, when big.market teams come to town, the bandwagon fans come with them? Being a Mariners fan myself (please feel free to hate on me if need be) I know when the Red Sox or Yankees are in town, the bandwagons flood the seats!! Get over it Nats fans, at least your selling tickets!!!

• dodger88 - May 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Agreed. When I lived in Toronto that was always a large contingent of Yankee and Bosox fans when those teams played the Jays. Still the case I’m sure.

• natstowngreg - May 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yankees and Red Sox fans flood every visiting park. Yankees fans will do it here in June. To be honest, the electricity at RFK when the Yankees visited in 2006 surpassed anything Phillies’ fans can generate. [BTW, they booed A-Rod.]

We focus on Phillies fans because compared to other NL teams’ fans, there are more of them, and they tend to be more poorly behaved. Also, the Phillies have been so much better since the Nats arrived in DC in 2005. In contrast, it was almost impossible to detect any D-backs fans in the audience last night.

3. 18thstreet - May 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I’m just happy that our lousy mayor is wasting time on this, instead of working on something important.

• runyetirun - May 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

his hobby is ballroom dancing- honestly, this could be much worse

• Jeremy Fox - May 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Um, the mayor’s staff probably wrote the letter, so it probably didn’t take the mayor any time at all. I think that’s how this sort of thing usually works.

• dondada10 - May 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Agreed. What politician do you know that uses hashtags?

4. kopy - May 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

If this starts the 2nd American Civil War, I’m moving to Australia.

5. eaglesfan723 - May 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM

My fiance, her two friends and I wanted to go to a Phillies game. We chose this Saturday a few months back simply for the fact that The Washington Nationals organization and fans don’t want us there and to show them that we Philadelphians support our team near and far, good or bad.

• runyetirun - May 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

My fiance, her two friends and I wanted to go to a Phillies game. We chose this Saturday a few months back simply for the fact that The Washington Nationals organization and fans don’t want us there and to show them that we Philadelphians support our team near and far, good or Ryan Howard.

/fixed it for you

6. Phillies Homer - May 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I’m heading down on Saturday along with close to 1,000 others!

Needless to say… It is going to be amusing seeing the “Take Back the Park” efforts come up a bit short.

7. jimmymarlinsfan - May 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Try being the lone marlins fan in Fenway park after mike Lowell hits a game winning 3 run shot 3 years before he was traded to the red sox…that was an interesting night

On this topic it goes to show you that it doesn’t matter what shade of red you prefer, a certain shade of green is really what matters most

8. andrebeingandre16 - May 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I cant see why the Nats made such a big deal of this. The worst instance of road fans taking over a ballpark I’ve ever seen was when Manny returned from his 50 suspension in San Diego. I forgot I wasnt at Dodger Stadium.

9. dawglb - May 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I will never give the Nats another dime. I hope they enjoy their newest idea to not sell tickets to people outside the DC, MD, and VA areas. Enjoy your 14,000 a night!

10. sasquash20 - May 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Natitude? Could anything be lamer? What a joke! They couldn’t come up with anything better.

• chadjones27 - May 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

And what are your suggestions?

11. schmedley69 - May 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

D.C. has come a long way since the days when Mayor Berry would declare #CrackAndWhore weekends. Those were the days

• govtminion - May 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Have you seen Barry’s recent shenanigans? He may not be mayor anymore, but he’s still having the cracked-out weekends- it’s the only way to explain the racist old coot’s comments.

12. xmatt0926x - May 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The Mayor’s plans would make more sense if the Nats could actually draw on their own. I kept hearing about all the “electricity” for Bryce Harper’s debut the other night and I had to laugh at seeing maybe 20,000 people in the stands. Yeah….that’s electric for sure.

13. simon94022 - May 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM

The Nats don’t have the out of town fan problem that, say, Baltimore does with the Yankees and Red Sox. But the former front office under Stan Kasten really alienated the locals when he started actively marketing to Philly fans, who then loudly booed the Nats in their home opener a few years back. It was a dumb strategy based on short term gain at the expense of building the local fanbase.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug