May 3, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
We’ve got a big no-no alert tonight out in Anaheim.
Angels starter Jered Weaver is just three outs away from completing a no-hitter against the Twins. He’s fanned eight batters and walked just one in a dominant showing against a punchless Minnesota lineup, and is sitting on 111 pitches as the game moves to the bottom of the eight inning.
We’ll update Weaver’s progress out by out.
UPDATE, 12:32 AM: Twins reliever Matt Capps retired Vernon Wells, Albert Pujols and Kendrys Morales in order in the bottom of the eighth. Weaver will take the mound in the ninth with a shot at history.
UPDATE, 12:33 AM: Weaver gets the Twins’ Jamey Carroll to fly out to left field for the first out.
UPDATE, 12:35 AM: Weaver fans Denard Span, painting a called third strike inside. Two down.
UPDATE, 12:36 AM: Twins second baseman Alexi Casilla sent a fly ball to the warning track in right field that was chased down by Torii Hunter for the third out. That’s it. Weaver’s first career no-hitter.
“I’m at a loss for words right now, man,” Weaver told the Angels’ television broadcast and the 27,000 fans at Angel Stadium after completing the feat. “It hasn’t even kicked in yet. Thank you guys for all the support.”
The 29-year-old right-hander finished with a pitch count of 121 (77 of which were strikes) and nine punchouts.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)