May 3, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
We’ve got a big no-no alert tonight out in Anaheim.
Angels starter Jered Weaver is just three outs away from completing a no-hitter against the Twins. He’s fanned eight batters and walked just one in a dominant showing against a punchless Minnesota lineup, and is sitting on 111 pitches as the game moves to the bottom of the eight inning.
We’ll update Weaver’s progress out by out.
UPDATE, 12:32 AM: Twins reliever Matt Capps retired Vernon Wells, Albert Pujols and Kendrys Morales in order in the bottom of the eighth. Weaver will take the mound in the ninth with a shot at history.
UPDATE, 12:33 AM: Weaver gets the Twins’ Jamey Carroll to fly out to left field for the first out.
UPDATE, 12:35 AM: Weaver fans Denard Span, painting a called third strike inside. Two down.
UPDATE, 12:36 AM: Twins second baseman Alexi Casilla sent a fly ball to the warning track in right field that was chased down by Torii Hunter for the third out. That’s it. Weaver’s first career no-hitter.
“I’m at a loss for words right now, man,” Weaver told the Angels’ television broadcast and the 27,000 fans at Angel Stadium after completing the feat. “It hasn’t even kicked in yet. Thank you guys for all the support.”
The 29-year-old right-hander finished with a pitch count of 121 (77 of which were strikes) and nine punchouts.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)