May 3, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
We’ve got a big no-no alert tonight out in Anaheim.
Angels starter Jered Weaver is just three outs away from completing a no-hitter against the Twins. He’s fanned eight batters and walked just one in a dominant showing against a punchless Minnesota lineup, and is sitting on 111 pitches as the game moves to the bottom of the eight inning.
We’ll update Weaver’s progress out by out.
UPDATE, 12:32 AM: Twins reliever Matt Capps retired Vernon Wells, Albert Pujols and Kendrys Morales in order in the bottom of the eighth. Weaver will take the mound in the ninth with a shot at history.
UPDATE, 12:33 AM: Weaver gets the Twins’ Jamey Carroll to fly out to left field for the first out.
UPDATE, 12:35 AM: Weaver fans Denard Span, painting a called third strike inside. Two down.
UPDATE, 12:36 AM: Twins second baseman Alexi Casilla sent a fly ball to the warning track in right field that was chased down by Torii Hunter for the third out. That’s it. Weaver’s first career no-hitter.
“I’m at a loss for words right now, man,” Weaver told the Angels’ television broadcast and the 27,000 fans at Angel Stadium after completing the feat. “It hasn’t even kicked in yet. Thank you guys for all the support.”
The 29-year-old right-hander finished with a pitch count of 121 (77 of which were strikes) and nine punchouts.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 45
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (143)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)