May 3, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
Oakland mayor Jean Quan brought out the big guns Thursday, as local business leaders held a press conference detailing plans to buy the A’s and get a new stadium built in Oakland, CSNBayArea.com reports.
Clorox Co. CEO Don Knauss led the way, backed by a consortium including Safeway, Pandora Internet Radio, World Market, Kaiser Permanente and seven other companies.
“If the current ownership group is not committed to Oakland,” Knauss said. “We want to make clear that Oakland and the East Bay business community are ready to step up to the plate to help ensure the A’s stay home where they belong in Oakland.
“We’re confident we have identified an ownership group with the financial wherewithal to buy the team, keep them here and get a new stadium built.”
Current A’s owner Lew Wolff responded afterwards, saying the team is not for sale. Wolff, of course, has been trying for years to move the team to San Jose.
It’s not going to materialize anytime soon, but as poor of an owner as Wolff has been, a change at the helm would probably be a good thing for the A’s. They might still be run as a small-market team by the new guys, but at least the primary goal would be winning, rather than Wolff’s decade-long focus on finding a better market.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)