May 3, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
Oakland mayor Jean Quan brought out the big guns Thursday, as local business leaders held a press conference detailing plans to buy the A’s and get a new stadium built in Oakland, CSNBayArea.com reports.
Clorox Co. CEO Don Knauss led the way, backed by a consortium including Safeway, Pandora Internet Radio, World Market, Kaiser Permanente and seven other companies.
“If the current ownership group is not committed to Oakland,” Knauss said. “We want to make clear that Oakland and the East Bay business community are ready to step up to the plate to help ensure the A’s stay home where they belong in Oakland.
“We’re confident we have identified an ownership group with the financial wherewithal to buy the team, keep them here and get a new stadium built.”
Current A’s owner Lew Wolff responded afterwards, saying the team is not for sale. Wolff, of course, has been trying for years to move the team to San Jose.
It’s not going to materialize anytime soon, but as poor of an owner as Wolff has been, a change at the helm would probably be a good thing for the A’s. They might still be run as a small-market team by the new guys, but at least the primary goal would be winning, rather than Wolff’s decade-long focus on finding a better market.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)