May 3, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Bad news for the Panda. That injury from last night is not good:
CONFIRMED: Pablo Sandoval has fractured his left hamate bone. Last year he missed 6 weeks and 41 games.
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) May 3, 2012
No one ever needs this. But the Giants, especially, didn’t need this given their offensive deficiencies. Sandoval was hitting .316/.375/.537 with five homers and 15 driven in.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly has more at CSNBayArea.com. Sandoval will have surgery Friday. And today is the one-year anniversary of his surgery on his other hamate bone.
Pablo’s Hamate bone: ”Oh Pablo! You remembered!”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)