May 3, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Bad news for the Panda. That injury from last night is not good:
CONFIRMED: Pablo Sandoval has fractured his left hamate bone. Last year he missed 6 weeks and 41 games.
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) May 3, 2012
No one ever needs this. But the Giants, especially, didn’t need this given their offensive deficiencies. Sandoval was hitting .316/.375/.537 with five homers and 15 driven in.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly has more at CSNBayArea.com. Sandoval will have surgery Friday. And today is the one-year anniversary of his surgery on his other hamate bone.
Pablo’s Hamate bone: “Oh Pablo! You remembered!”
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 4
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)