May 3, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Bad news for the Panda. That injury from last night is not good:
CONFIRMED: Pablo Sandoval has fractured his left hamate bone. Last year he missed 6 weeks and 41 games.
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) May 3, 2012
No one ever needs this. But the Giants, especially, didn’t need this given their offensive deficiencies. Sandoval was hitting .316/.375/.537 with five homers and 15 driven in.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly has more at CSNBayArea.com. Sandoval will have surgery Friday. And today is the one-year anniversary of his surgery on his other hamate bone.
Pablo’s Hamate bone: “Oh Pablo! You remembered!”
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)