May 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: The worst fears are realized: broken hamate bone. He’s likely to miss several weeks.
10:00 AM: This could be bad news for the Giants: a team that already struggles to score runs could be without their biggest offensive threat for a while.
“He took a swing and had quite a bit of pain and had to come out,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “We’ll know more [Thursday]. There’s a lot of concern here. We know what this guy means to our club and our offense.”
He had a brace on it after the game. If he and his .316/.375/.537 line are gone for any extended time, the Giants are gonna have some problems.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)