May 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
UPDATE: The worst fears are realized: broken hamate bone. He’s likely to miss several weeks.
10:00 AM: This could be bad news for the Giants: a team that already struggles to score runs could be without their biggest offensive threat for a while.
“He took a swing and had quite a bit of pain and had to come out,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “We’ll know more [Thursday]. There’s a lot of concern here. We know what this guy means to our club and our offense.”
He had a brace on it after the game. If he and his .316/.375/.537 line are gone for any extended time, the Giants are gonna have some problems.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)