May 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Called up Tuesday because the Red Sox needed some infield depth with Kevin Youkilis hurting but still on the active roster, Jose Iglesias is reportedly being sent back to Triple-A without getting into a game.
Youkilis was placed on the disabled list yesterday, with prospect Will Middlebrooks coming up from Triple-A to replace him at third base, which allows Nick Punto to remain in a backup role and made Iglesias superfluous.
And he certainly has plenty of work to do in the minors still, as the slick-fielding shortstop has hit just .229 with a .283 on-base percentage and .258 slugging percentage in 123 games for Pawtucket.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)