May 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Called up Tuesday because the Red Sox needed some infield depth with Kevin Youkilis hurting but still on the active roster, Jose Iglesias is reportedly being sent back to Triple-A without getting into a game.
Youkilis was placed on the disabled list yesterday, with prospect Will Middlebrooks coming up from Triple-A to replace him at third base, which allows Nick Punto to remain in a backup role and made Iglesias superfluous.
And he certainly has plenty of work to do in the minors still, as the slick-fielding shortstop has hit just .229 with a .283 on-base percentage and .258 slugging percentage in 123 games for Pawtucket.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)