May 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Called up Tuesday because the Red Sox needed some infield depth with Kevin Youkilis hurting but still on the active roster, Jose Iglesias is reportedly being sent back to Triple-A without getting into a game.
Youkilis was placed on the disabled list yesterday, with prospect Will Middlebrooks coming up from Triple-A to replace him at third base, which allows Nick Punto to remain in a backup role and made Iglesias superfluous.
And he certainly has plenty of work to do in the minors still, as the slick-fielding shortstop has hit just .229 with a .283 on-base percentage and .258 slugging percentage in 123 games for Pawtucket.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)