May 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
Remember last year when we told you about how ballplayers are using a spray made from ground up deer antlers as some sort of performance enhancer? And then about how Major League Baseball sent a warning to players that they shouldn’t use a particular brand of the deer antler spray because it could lead to positive drug test results due to contamination of some kind?
Yeah, the manufacturer didn’t like that, and now they’ve sued Major League Baseball:
Nutronics Labs alleges that, last summer, the league told its players to stop taking what became one of the latest performance enhancers so as not to risk testing positive for methyltestosterone, even though it wasn’t listed as an ingredient. As a result of what the company calls “false, misleading and malicious” statements by MLB, Nutronics says its business was significantly damaged and as much as $50 million in business could have been lost.
“We were getting calls left and right,” said Dr. Richard Lentini, CEO of Nutronics Labs. “People wanted refunds. We kept telling them that what baseball [league] was saying wasn’t the truth. But we’re the little guy, they wouldn’t believe us.”
And another march to court begins. Can’t wait until Andy Pettitte flip-flops on the stand in this one. Although maybe he’ll be disqualified as a witness based on where he lives in the offseason.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)