May 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Remember last year when we told you about how ballplayers are using a spray made from ground up deer antlers as some sort of performance enhancer? And then about how Major League Baseball sent a warning to players that they shouldn’t use a particular brand of the deer antler spray because it could lead to positive drug test results due to contamination of some kind?
Yeah, the manufacturer didn’t like that, and now they’ve sued Major League Baseball:
Nutronics Labs alleges that, last summer, the league told its players to stop taking what became one of the latest performance enhancers so as not to risk testing positive for methyltestosterone, even though it wasn’t listed as an ingredient. As a result of what the company calls “false, misleading and malicious” statements by MLB, Nutronics says its business was significantly damaged and as much as $50 million in business could have been lost.
“We were getting calls left and right,” said Dr. Richard Lentini, CEO of Nutronics Labs. “People wanted refunds. We kept telling them that what baseball [league] was saying wasn’t the truth. But we’re the little guy, they wouldn’t believe us.”
And another march to court begins. Can’t wait until Andy Pettitte flip-flops on the stand in this one. Although maybe he’ll be disqualified as a witness based on where he lives in the offseason.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)