May 3, 2012, 1:07 AM EDT
Jerome Williams hadn’t pitched a complete game since 2003 before shutting out the Twins on Tuesday. That was humiliating. What followed Wednesday was even more distressing.
The Twins didn’t even seem to be trying Wednesday. Weaver had good stuff, but it’s doubtful he would have no-hit any other lineup tonight. Manager Ron Gardenhire also phoned it in. Even though his top relievers were all rested, he let the game get out of hand before going to the bullpen in the third. He also allowed the same nine players make all 27 outs in the contest.
Of course, his hands were somewhat tied there, what with the Justin Morneau injury and the move to drop Sean Burroughs from the roster to add catching depth in the form of the league’s worst hitter: Drew Butera. The Twins also have Clete Thomas hacking away in right field instead of the superior Ben Revere, who is back in Triple-A.
Minnesota already appears to be pretty much done for in the AL Central, but while selling is option, tradeable assets are few and far between. Francisco Liriano could have been one, but his awful showing thus far is a big reason the team is 6-18. Denard Span is the only piece that figures to fetch much on the market. But while he might bring back a quality young infielder the Twins could use, the future looks pretty bleak at the moment.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)