We now know for certain that Carlos Zambrano has changed

May 3, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Miami Marlins v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

When considering Heath Bell‘s non-blown-save-blown-save, this part hadn’t occurred to me:  Carlos Zambrano was the pitcher of record and stood to get the win if Bell had managed to lock the game down in the ninth.  Yet, despite this, there was no violence, mayhem, sturm nor drang.

Clark Spencer from the Miami Herald:

“I feel like I’m a new Carlos Zambrano,” he said, “because the old Carlos Zambrano would be throwing a chair and screaming at his teammate. But God has changed my life. I’m happy that we won today. That’s the most important thing.”

Zambrano said Bell apologized to him afterward.

“Heath failed and it’s time to pick him up,” Zambrano said. “Everybody has to pick up each other. That’s what the game is all about.

This is highly disorienting. Like when Fonzie lost his cool or something.

1. wetmorepsu12 - May 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

in other news, hell has frozen over.

• ptfu - May 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Whoa, thanks for the heads-up! Time to start printing “Cubs 2012 World Series Champions” T-shirts.

2. sdelmonte - May 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Fonzie never lost his cool. Don’t let anyone tell you that.

• mcsnide - May 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Every time I see Henry Winkler on tv, I shake my head at the thought that he was once the coolest man on the planet. My kids, of course, refuse to believe me.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I still think he’s a really cool guy. He’s a down-to-earth, funny guy.

• addictedzone - May 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM

A leather jacket. How gauche.

(points awarded if you remember the next line sans google)

• Francisco (FC) - May 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

No, but he DID Jump the Shark. In Zambrano’s Case he Jumped the Fish!

• leerosenthall - May 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Damn straight.

• ezthinking - May 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

That was worse than I remember.

3. Chris St. John - May 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I noticed this yesterday even on little things. He completely missed his release point on a pitch and it was way off the plate. Old Zambrano would have stalked around and cursed obscenities. New Zambrano just mimicked his delivery afterward to try and get the release point back.

4. Alex K - May 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This song and dance has been done for a number of years by Z. It’s still early in the season small sample size rules apply. I hope he’s made a change, but we’ll see.

5. randygnyc - May 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Temporary;
    tem·po·rary\ˈtem-pə-ˌrer-ē\
    adjective
    : lasting for a limited time
    tem·po·rar·i·ness noun
    Examples
    The drug will give you temporary relief from the pain.
    The delay is only temporary.
    The settlers built temporary shelters.
    Origin: Latin temporarius, from tempor-, tempus time.
    First use: circa 1564
    Synonyms: ephemerality, evanescence, fleetingness, fugitiveness, impermanency, momentariness, impermanence, transience, transiency, transitoriness
    Antonyms: endurance, permanence, permanency
    Synonyms: ad interim, impermanent, interim, provisional, provisionary, provisory, short-term
    Antonyms: long-term, permanent

• Old Gator - May 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Exactly. Wait till it gets hot outside.

• addictedzone - May 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM

It’s always 72 in Marlins Park

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

God has a lot of explaining to do, but if Zambrano and Manny can use their image of Him to make themselves better people, then that’s wonderful. Hope it holds up.

7. mattraw - May 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM

That accompanying photo is accurate. I watched a few innings of this one and he spent the entire time grinning like Pedro Cerrano in the third act of Major League II.

8. bigleagues - May 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Much like when Arthur Fonzarelli went vertical while water skiing to avoid a Great White
    it seems Big Zzzzzz as we knew him has jumped the shark.

9. magzalez - May 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Serenity now… serenity now… @#@$@%^$%^#

• brewcrewfan54 - May 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Serenity now, insanity later……

10. jimmymarlinsfan - May 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I know this is hard to believe for some..but maybe…just maybe..big Z was going to be happy playing for a team that has actually won something in our life times and I apologize to anyone who reads this and is 97 years old

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS