May 3, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
Eric Chavez suffered whiplash diving for a ball defensively last night, leaving the game with a possible concussion, and the Yankees have now placed him on the seven-day disabled list designed specifically for concussions.
Chavez initially remained in the game and came to the plate in the next half-inning, but had to leave in the middle of the at-bat when he had trouble balancing. Trainers helped him off the field and assisted him down the dugout steps, so there’s definitely cause for concern.
To replace Chavez on the roster the Yankees called up journeyman Jayson Nix from Triple-A and are giving him the start in left field tonight. Nix has previously played for the White Sox, Rockies, Indians, and Blue Jays, hitting just .207 with a .648 OPS in 264 career games.
He has 15-homer power, but swings at everything and hasn’t even played well at Triple-A recently. He does, however, have some corner outfield experience, which is more than could be said for Eduardo Nunez before the Yankees gave the career-long infielder back-to-back starts in left field this week.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 37
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 43
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)