Adam Yauch 1964-2012

May 4, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT

Adam Yauch

I don’t care that this isn’t about baseball. If you need it to be, be content with the “And I’ve got mad hits like I was Rod Carew ” line in “Sure Shot.” And that Rod Carew was aware of it.

Adam Yauch, one-third of the pioneering hip-hop group the Beastie Boys, has died at the age of 48, Rolling Stone has learned. Yauch, also known as MCA, had been in treatment for cancer since 2009. The rapper was diagnosed in 2009 after discovering a tumor in his salivary gland.

The Beasties made the Hall of Fame based on both peak and longevity.  And now they’re done and as a kid whose first really subversive album purchase with his own money was “Licensed to Ill,” this has me really damn sad.

1. aceshigh11 - May 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Yeah, this is really sad news. I knew he was battling cancer but I thought he was doing better.

I’m not a big rap fan, but I don’t know anybody who doesn’t enjoy the Beastie Boys in some way, shape or form. They were one of those groups that could always put a dumb smile on your face, and they were way more talented, musically and lyrically, then their smartassed, tongue-in-cheek style let on.

R.I.P.

• heyblueyoustink - May 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Awful news, he was an all time great innovator. I remember seeing a documentary type gig showing his home studio, simply amazing.

He will be missed, and tonight there will be Beastie Boys on the airwaves, i’m cranking the speakers.

• marshmallowsnake - May 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Although I was never really a fan of the Beasties, it is sad when a person dies, especially of cancer, and especially one that has fought for human rights like Adam. Rest in peace sir!

2. aiede - May 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Also, “I got more hits than Sadaharu Oh,” from “Hey Ladies.”

3. The Dangerous Mabry - May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I’m right with you, Craig. This is just really really sad. RIP, MCA.

4. bravojawja - May 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Licensed to Ill got me through more than one road trip in college. And exam weeks.

5. ningenito78 - May 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

First Mariano died (you would think reading the NY papers today) and now this. Ugh. RIP MCA.

6. mariner425 - May 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

So sad. A piece of my childhood just died. So glad I was able to see them in concert a few years ago. Thank you Adam (MCA) for all of the great music.

7. illcomm - May 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

my name says it all. ill comm….ill communications. RIP Adam. your music will live on forever.

8. brewcrewfan54 - May 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM

This just sucks!

9. stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Gaaaaahhhhhh! Terrible news. I thought he was doing better as well. A very talented group. They had a style all their own. I have seen them several times. They play their asses off.
    Always a great show.
    So…as a tribute I give you my absolute favorite verse(s) out off ALL their tunes.
    “The Sheriff’s after me for what I did to his daugther. I did it like this. I did it like that.
    I did it with a whiffle ball bat. Sooooo….I’m on the run the cops got my gun and right about now it’s time to have some fun. I am the king of rock…that is my name and I know the fly spot that’s got the champagne!”
    R.I.P. Adam…

• kinggeorge96 - May 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That was actually Adock’s line… ” I am the king Adrock….that is my name…” but we get the picture.

MCA will surely be missed by any child of the 80′s… RIP MCA.. and my childhood

• stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Thanks for the clarifying George. Still my all time favorite. Followed closely by “like a pinch to the neck from Mr. Spock.”

10. tuftsb - May 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM

RIP – hopefully more people reflect on the music and don’t just know the gropu as an Adam Sandler riff.

And when do the Moody Blues make the Rock HOF? Are their voters as absurd as the BBWAA?

• JB (the original) - May 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Re: Moody Blues—right after Iron Maiden!

11. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I’m completely devastated. Last time I was this crushed about an icon was Brian Jacques a few years back. RIP, Adam. Thanks for your incredible music and sharing your talents for decades.

12. Jonny 5 - May 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Enjoy it while you have it folks. Life is a gift.

The Beastie boys were a part of my life for a loooong time. I remember being on the school bus in 5th grade singing Brass Monkey and She’s crafty. RIP MCA. Tonight on my drive home I’m playing Licence to ill, the whole thing. Maybe some Pauls Boutique too. I love the egg man song.

13. AlohaMrHand - May 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I’m listening to Paul’s Boutique as i type this.Sad day,sad week!RIP Junior,and MCA

14. ajcardsfan - May 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

One of the first groups I learned to love. My cousin was my icon when I was young and impressionable in the 90s, his favorite group was the Beastie Boys. Him and a friend did a spoof of Sabotage and another video, can’t remember what it was back in the mid 90s. So, I learned to love them as well. I still love to rap with Intergalactic

RIP MCA, you will be missed dearly

15. youjivinmeturkey - May 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

:*(

16. metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

they made the hall of fame because that jackass wennar who is in charge of who gets inducted goes out of his way to make sure people that have nothing to do with rock and roll get put in before bands that deserve it. to bad he died but he definatly did not deseve to be in something called the rock and roll hall fame for rapping. it is a disrespect to all those people who play instruments and write their own songs and more importantly SING that rappers are included. and sorry the turntable is not a instrument and talking fast is not singing. stealing somebody else’s music and calling it sampling is not writing your own song.how about they build a rap hof? how much you want to bet they would not induct IRON MAIDEN in that? I am old so please do not try and tell me how great rap is you will be wasting your breath. nothing you say will change my mind about that or the fact rap has no place in something called the rock and roll hall of fame. Greg Allman was right,rap is short for crap!

• Craig Calcaterra - May 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

The Beastie Boys (a) played instruments; (b) wrote their own songs; and (c) sang.

Please learn the first thing about something before you say really stupid things like you just said, ok?

• Craig Calcaterra - May 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Also: “stealing somebody else’s music and calling it sampling is not writing your own song”

You do realize that Elvis, Clapton, the Stones, Led Zeppelin and just about every other rock act from the 50s-80s built their careers stealing from blues artists, right? Like, you totally understand the basis of hard rock and heavy metal, don’t you?

• stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I really try hard to disagree with you Craig. Unfortunately, sometimes I just can’t do it.

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

there is a differance between being influenced by and stealing and claiming the song as your own. yes I know rock was influenced by the blues but those artists did not take complete songs and claim them as their own. the song may be a hit for them therefore assciated with them for that reason but there is a thing called royalties and in most cases they were paid. does not change the fact rappers use parts of or sometimes all the song to get their hits from. does not change the fact rappers do not belong in something called the rock and roll hall of fame, if you think madonna who dances and lip synchs deserves to be in over actual bands like RUSH then you know nothing about rock and roll. not dissing the guy because he died just saying his music does not belong in something called the rock and roll hall of fame.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

“but those artists did not take complete songs and claim them as their own.”

Ask the descendants of Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson and a zillion others how much money they got from Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones.

• The Dangerous Mabry - May 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I think you’re almost certainly the only “metalhead” I’ve ever heard of who gave a damn about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• Jonny 5 - May 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Metalhead, Aglio e Olio http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7q1li_beastie-boys-aglio-e-olio-ep_music

Craig, you know of these blues greats? Really? Much respect.

• illegalblues - May 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM

man, this metalhead65 dude is like a character from a The Onion article.

• Amsterdamned - May 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Oh god, please do not associate this guy’s user name with all fans of heavy music. The outpouring of emotion and condolences I have seen from the heavy metal community has been overwhelming.

Seriously guy, get a grip. You don’t enjoy the Beastie Boys music? Fine, how about showing some tact and not spouting your opinion on the day one of members passes away much too young. Show a little respect. As Craig mentioned, they did all of those things you say they didn’t, and even if they didn’t using a post about the man’s death as a platform to spew you bullshit opinion is vile.

• stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

You can’t be serious!
      You now “officially” have the title of “Guy who’s glass is always half empty.”
      It’s like you intentially try to alienate every single person who reads your mostly mindless drivel.

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM

wow so sorry to upset you and all the other fans of this vile noise with a beat known as rap. how will I ever be able to sleep knowing that you once again disagree with another opinon of mine. so if they built a hall fame for rap you would be ok with inducting a band like IRON MAIDEN in it? because to me that is the same thing as putting rappers in the rock hall.

• mortymcfearson - May 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Is the cup that is half empty, or is the cup half full?

• Liam - May 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Ignoring the factual errors and complete lack of respect for the departed in your post, your idea of rock and roll is wrong. It’s not about playing certain instruments, rock and roll is about being young and having something to say. And, the turntable come into popularity because kids couldn’t afford actual instruments so that was the only way for them to make their own music. I can’t think of anything more rock and roll than that.

• bigmeechy74 - May 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

You win the “idiotic, uninformed comment of the day award.” Congrats!

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

thanks I take it with pride.

• Matt Aromando - May 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Are you familiar with the song Sabotage? Definitely one of their most defining songs and they definitely play their own instruments on it.

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM

good for them but that does not mean they deserve to be in the rock and roll hall of fame. look I am a old school rock and never have and never will like rap. if you like it fine but there is no way rappers belong in something called the rock and roll hall of fame. I find it funny nobody answere my question about a rap hall of fame. if they had one would you be ok if the inducted IRON MAIDEN?

• Matt Aromando - May 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

No, you wouldn’t induct Iron Maiden in the rap hall of fame because they aren’t rap artists. Did you really need someone to tell you that? The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has become the Music Hall of Fame because like many old institutions, it didn’t see the future.

P.S. At best, Iron Maiden belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

• Liam - May 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Getting hung up on whether or not a band qualifies as rock and roll is quite literally the least rock and roll thing possible.

• jgraening - May 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I’m not a huge fan of rap or hip hop – but I always get excited when I think I’m hearing Rhymin’ & Stealin’ but eventually disappointed when I find out it’s actually When the Levy Breaks (even though I’m a Led Zepplin fan).

17. ningenito78 - May 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Metalhead is just your typical poser that knows jack shit about music. Even talking about the Beastie Boys like they’re some generic rap group shows you have no idea what the hell you’re talking about.

• protectthishouse54 - May 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Agreed. And it shows that he knows nothing about the spirit of rock and roll. It’s about innovating, making a mess, breaking the rules and pushing boundaries. Hip hop is one way that music has evolved in that sense. Doesn’t mean you have to like everything, but he should be less uptight about the precious Hall of Fame. It’s not very “rock and roll” of him.

• rightinthelumberyard - May 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

This guy probably doesn’t deserve all of the time and effort we are putting into responding, but c’mon man.

Why do you have to define who an artist is by trying to group them into a certain type of sound that makes you feel better? Calling the Beastie Boys rappers is like calling Levon Helm only a drummer. They were much more than that and I think that is reflected in their being in the Hall of Fame.

Hall of Fame’s are kind of weird as there are no real definitions of who belongs and who doesn’t. But more than anything what they do is recognize talent. No one, no matter what your music interests are, can say that the Beastie Boys as a group and as individuals were not immensely, immensely talented. They were terrific artists and they were icons. What else do you want for Hall of Fame induction?

And I am not even really that big of a fan of the Beastie Boys. But I recognize their talent.

18. natstowngreg - May 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Not a fan of their music, but anyone who can work Rod Carew and Sadaharu Oh into songs gets my respect. Rest in Peace.

19. dowhatifeellike - May 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I was never a fan of Three Jews Yellin’ (as I called them), but it’s always sad when an artist’s life is cut short.

• philliesblow - May 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Keep it classy, Delmon.

20. lew24 - May 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

“Paul Revere” one of the best hip hop songs of all time!

21. Chris Fiorentino - May 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I saw the Beastie Boys twice in Philly in the 80′s…once when they opened up for Run DMC…most amazing concert I have ever been to. The second time I saw them, they were more popular and this small unknown rap group named “Public Enemy” opened for them. Wow. To say that concert was amazing doesn’t do it justice.

So recently, I am playing License to Ill for my 14 year old, who is kinda into rap, but like something called “dubstep” don’t ask me what it is and also likes Linkin Park. So I’m playing License to Ill and around the third song my 14 year old goes “Dad, this is REALLY gangster stuff” I was like “No it’s not”…then I started really listening, and compared to today’s stuff, License to Ill really is quite gangster.

Nowadays, they don’t use the N word, talk about guns as much, and other stuff that every rap song in the 80′s and 90′s did. Sure, you have some stuff today, but it’s not as prevalent as it was. License to Ill was my favorite album, but yeah, I guess it was kinda gangster. Awesome.

• kinggeorge96 - May 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We’re gonna be blasting some bad-ass music when we’re 90 huh?

22. poprox13 - May 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM

RIP MCA! :(

23. metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

what was music like when they coined the term rock and roll,wait let’s see guitars drums,bass and a singer. what was rock like in the 60′s? again same basic requirements.same thing in the 70′s then 80′s come around and you get this stuff called rap featuring scratching records and people talking fast. now how is that rock and roll in any way shape or form? it is not my fault they call it the rock and roll hall of fame but as long as it is called that then only people who play it should be allowed in. there is no way to justify allowing rappers in ahead of BANDS like RUSH who have been making great music for 40 years but can’t even get nominated. enjoy the style of music all you want but it is not and never will be ROCK!

• illegalblues - May 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

rush is god awful, dude. get over it and get outta this thread. there’s probably some kids on your lawn to yell at.

i’m going to be having a few brass monkeys in the name of MCA tonight. ill communication changed my life. it opened me up to so many different genres of music! there’s no way i would be the person i am today without the beastie boys. RIP

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM

and that would be what?a typical add slcker? yea I am old so I know what I am talking about when it comes to music god awful really? shows that your generation has no idea what rock and roll is.the whole point of my posts was now matter how great you think rap is it does not belong in something called a rock and roll hall of fame! they labeled it hip-hop to separate it so why are you arguing with me? I can’t help if the morons in charge of the thing do not know what they are doing but as long as they call it the rock and roll hall of fame I will argue for the rockers who belong. now excuse me while I fire up a sreak on the grill and down a few beers while cranking some LED ZEPPELIN on the stereo. track 1 ROCK AND ROLL!

• illegalblues - May 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

dude, i don’t think you get it. nobody cares about the rock and roll hall of fame. it’s there to sell t-shirts to dudes that can’t get over how awesome they think it would be to own a thunderbird.

• illegalblues - May 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

“why the hell is picasso in the art hall of fame. garbage, it doesn’t even look like a real thing”

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

now you are just being stupid.but I guess if you can’t rebuff what I said you have to make stuff up. like it or not rock and roll is not rap. if it is why do they refer to it as hip hop?

• illegalblues - May 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM

think you might have huffed too many garage rags in the back of I-ROC, dude. never said anything about hip hop being “rock and roll”. said a corporate structure like the rock and roll hall of fame is silly and to get upset over it is even stupider.

btw, rock and roll is not track 1. it’s track 2 on zozo. yr 8-track might be warped. people that like hip hop can still be into other forms of music, my man.

• metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

never said you could not and my only problem is those forms being allowed in something called the rock and roll hall of fame. while lame in principle if they are going to call it that then only rock acts should be let in. that was my whole point to begin with. if it means nothing then why is everybody so upset when I say these guys and rapper should not be in?

• illegalblues - May 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM

people are upset because you’re in here being a complete retard in thread mourning a musician. get overself already

• bigleagues - May 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I happen to LOVE Rush AND the Beastie Boys among MANY other STYLES OF ROCK-n-ROLL.

Hip-Hop IS most definitely a form of Rock-N-Roll. So is virtually EVERY OTHER form of pop-music that come along since the 1950′s.

That Metalhead doesn’t know this ranks him among the dinosaur head bangers of the 80′s who refuse to let the past die quietly in the dungeon. He reminds me of the buddy I recently ran into. When we were teenagers we shared an interest in the likes of Def Leppard, Dokken, Eddie Money and U2. He stopped expanding his musical interests around 1990, when mine was just taking off. So when we recently spoke he made it a point to let me know that not a day goes by that he doesn’t listen to Def Leppard and think about the old days, and wanted to know if I still listened to them. I responded with a feeble deflective “yeah, ya know . . . every so often”. And then, offered that I more enjoyed the likes of The Bogmen, 2 Skinee J’s, Helmet, Soul Coughing, Tribe Called Quest, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Queens of the Stone Age, Korn, Deftones, Rage Against The Machine, Metallica, Primus, Sublime among many many others. Believe it or not . . . he had heard some Metallica and virtually nothing else. I could not imagine my life without the pleasure of the rich, varied audio soundtrack that exploring new music provided me.

I suppose by MetalHeads standards, the use of hip-hop by the Deftones, Korn and most notably, RATM, disqualifies those acts from the “Rock-n-Roll” HOF.

Anyway the band that inspired my fascination with seeking out new and varied musical styles? Yeah, the Beastie Boys. As countless others have stated here . . . the Beasties wrote, produced and performed virtually all of the music they ever recorded and released. Yes, they were early innovators and purveyors of music sampling. But then, that is a far cry from the outright theft of music that Led Zeppelin passively passed off as its own. (Full disclosure . . . I’m a card carrying ZepHed). Good sampling is no different than emulating your favorite vocalist or guitarist,etc . . . something that the Metal genre is quite familiar with (look no further than WhiteLionSnake or if you need a less PopMetal example, Helloween’s obvious echoing of influences: Iron Maiden and Ronnie James Dio).

Personally, I love metal, hard core, garage, ‘grunge’, classic rock, prog-rock, hip-hop and electronica. They are all forms and/or permutations of ROCK-N-ROLL.

Even Sebastian Bach eventually resolved his anger and resentment that music loving public finally found self-respect again in the post-80′s music scene and professed his love and appreciation for the evolution of music in the 90′s and beyond.

Perhaps whats most difficult for guys like Metalhead, is that the Beastie Boys defy any single genre. They aren’t neatly packaged and singularly focused. They lack predictability. Some people fear the uncertain.

• T Pot - May 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Here you go, Chuck explains what is Rock n Roll http://youtu.be/3LF4uaFaWRI

24. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - May 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

A friend of mine mentioned today that for a huge chunk of the population, these guys have been on the top of the game for their entire lifetimes. We have never had to deal with not having them, or to even think about it, and knowing now that (other than whatever they already have recorded) there won’t be a new Beastie Boys album is unsettling. RIP MCA, music just won’t be the same without you.

25. steelymcbeam6 - May 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Sad news. Sure he was a great guy…hated the beastie boys tho

• jwbiii - May 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM

He was a great guy, or at least he was 25 years ago when I met him.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto