May 4, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Chris Perez came on to get the save in last night’s Indians-White Sox game. He closed it out with a strikeout of A.J. Pierzynski and by inducing a groundout by Alex Rios. Then, as closers are wont to do, he gesticulated and emoted some, with a few fist pumps and huzzahs. This did not please Rios:
After the borderline strike to Pierzynski went his way, Perez celebrated with a strong fist pump on the mound. When Rios made contact on his game-ending play, Perez once again started yelling, and Rios didn’t understand what he was doing or appreciate the actions. He had more than a few words for Perez as he was running back to the White Sox dugout, but the situation didn’t come close to escalating into something more.
“Well, I don’t know what was wrong with him,” said Rios with a wry smile. “He just started yelling for no reason. I don’t know why he started yelling, and that’s it.”
I’m on Rios’ side here. I mean really, how great a trick is it to retire Alex Rios? Why is that anything worthy of celebrating? Now, if it were Paul Konerko or someone sure, but Rios? Pfft! Child’s play.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 16
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 24
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL