May 4, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Mariners manager Eric Wedge said that Chone Figgins is no longer going to be an everyday player. His new role: utility guy off the bench. The new third baseman/basemen: Kyle Seager and Alex Liddi. The new leadoff hitter: Dustin Ackley. Done and done.
This is something that had to happen. Figgins has hit .231/.304/.287 in 267 games since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the M’s before the 2010 season.
Ackley has just a .291 OBP so far this year, so he needs to turn it around for the leadoff spot to get righted before the move pays real dividends. It’s likely he will, however. Seager (.788 OPS) and Liddi (.809), however, have hit well when they’ve had the chance this year.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)