May 4, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Mariners manager Eric Wedge said that Chone Figgins is no longer going to be an everyday player. His new role: utility guy off the bench. The new third baseman/basemen: Kyle Seager and Alex Liddi. The new leadoff hitter: Dustin Ackley. Done and done.
This is something that had to happen. Figgins has hit .231/.304/.287 in 267 games since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the M’s before the 2010 season.
Ackley has just a .291 OBP so far this year, so he needs to turn it around for the leadoff spot to get righted before the move pays real dividends. It’s likely he will, however. Seager (.788 OPS) and Liddi (.809), however, have hit well when they’ve had the chance this year.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)