May 4, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Mariners manager Eric Wedge said that Chone Figgins is no longer going to be an everyday player. His new role: utility guy off the bench. The new third baseman/basemen: Kyle Seager and Alex Liddi. The new leadoff hitter: Dustin Ackley. Done and done.
This is something that had to happen. Figgins has hit .231/.304/.287 in 267 games since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the M’s before the 2010 season.
Ackley has just a .291 OBP so far this year, so he needs to turn it around for the leadoff spot to get righted before the move pays real dividends. It’s likely he will, however. Seager (.788 OPS) and Liddi (.809), however, have hit well when they’ve had the chance this year.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)