May 4, 2012, 9:22 PM EST
Mariners manager Eric Wedge said that Chone Figgins is no longer going to be an everyday player. His new role: utility guy off the bench. The new third baseman/basemen: Kyle Seager and Alex Liddi. The new leadoff hitter: Dustin Ackley. Done and done.
This is something that had to happen. Figgins has hit .231/.304/.287 in 267 games since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the M’s before the 2010 season.
Ackley has just a .291 OBP so far this year, so he needs to turn it around for the leadoff spot to get righted before the move pays real dividends. It’s likely he will, however. Seager (.788 OPS) and Liddi (.809), however, have hit well when they’ve had the chance this year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)