May 4, 2012, 8:06 PM EST
I figured that it would automatically fall to Robertson because is clearly the better pitcher. But really, if the lack of a formal title means that Girardi will use Robertson when he is needed most — which could be the eighth inning obviously — that may be better.
Still, don’t hold your breath for any kind of flexible, old-school relief ace deployment here. Managers just don’t seem to have those kinds of cajones these days. It’s just so unconventional, and the first time the second best pitcher loses a game in the ninth, you know Girardi would be raked over the coals.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (155)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (90)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)