May 4, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
I figured that it would automatically fall to Robertson because is clearly the better pitcher. But really, if the lack of a formal title means that Girardi will use Robertson when he is needed most — which could be the eighth inning obviously — that may be better.
Still, don’t hold your breath for any kind of flexible, old-school relief ace deployment here. Managers just don’t seem to have those kinds of cajones these days. It’s just so unconventional, and the first time the second best pitcher loses a game in the ninth, you know Girardi would be raked over the coals.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 2
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (92)