May 4, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
I figured that it would automatically fall to Robertson because is clearly the better pitcher. But really, if the lack of a formal title means that Girardi will use Robertson when he is needed most — which could be the eighth inning obviously — that may be better.
Still, don’t hold your breath for any kind of flexible, old-school relief ace deployment here. Managers just don’t seem to have those kinds of cajones these days. It’s just so unconventional, and the first time the second best pitcher loses a game in the ninth, you know Girardi would be raked over the coals.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)