May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
While serving his seven-game suspension for, among other things, allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks, Delmon Young met with Detroit-area rabbi Joshua Bennett of Temple Israel.
Bennett described the meeting as coming from “a mutual reaching out” initiated in part by the Tigers and Young’s agent, and told Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News that they had “a really wonderful conversation.”
Here’s more from Bennett:
I realized in the wake of it that while I obviously don’t know all of the details, and much of the story is very unclear, in speaking to Delmon I find him to be sincere, contrite and remorseful of the way things played out in regard to the incident, in terms of the impact on the team, the fans, the Jewish community, and the community at-large.
Although this will take some time, and his actions ultimately will prove what he says, Jewish tradition teaches me that everyone deserves a chance to learn from a mistake and to grow as a person. So, while I can not speak to exactly what occurred, I accepted his apology and appreciate his humanness.
Young was arrested late Thursday night/early Friday morning last week and charged with assault and a hate crime for allegedly having a physical and verbal altercation with tourists and a panhandler in New York. He rejoined the Tigers today.
Based on my long history of meeting with rabbis to discuss things I’d done wrong Delmon Young will be expelled from Hebrew school soon.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)