May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
While serving his seven-game suspension for, among other things, allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks, Delmon Young met with Detroit-area rabbi Joshua Bennett of Temple Israel.
Bennett described the meeting as coming from “a mutual reaching out” initiated in part by the Tigers and Young’s agent, and told Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News that they had “a really wonderful conversation.”
Here’s more from Bennett:
I realized in the wake of it that while I obviously don’t know all of the details, and much of the story is very unclear, in speaking to Delmon I find him to be sincere, contrite and remorseful of the way things played out in regard to the incident, in terms of the impact on the team, the fans, the Jewish community, and the community at-large.
Although this will take some time, and his actions ultimately will prove what he says, Jewish tradition teaches me that everyone deserves a chance to learn from a mistake and to grow as a person. So, while I can not speak to exactly what occurred, I accepted his apology and appreciate his humanness.
Young was arrested late Thursday night/early Friday morning last week and charged with assault and a hate crime for allegedly having a physical and verbal altercation with tourists and a panhandler in New York. He rejoined the Tigers today.
Based on my long history of meeting with rabbis to discuss things I’d done wrong Delmon Young will be expelled from Hebrew school soon.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)