May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
While serving his seven-game suspension for, among other things, allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks, Delmon Young met with Detroit-area rabbi Joshua Bennett of Temple Israel.
Bennett described the meeting as coming from “a mutual reaching out” initiated in part by the Tigers and Young’s agent, and told Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News that they had “a really wonderful conversation.”
Here’s more from Bennett:
I realized in the wake of it that while I obviously don’t know all of the details, and much of the story is very unclear, in speaking to Delmon I find him to be sincere, contrite and remorseful of the way things played out in regard to the incident, in terms of the impact on the team, the fans, the Jewish community, and the community at-large.
Although this will take some time, and his actions ultimately will prove what he says, Jewish tradition teaches me that everyone deserves a chance to learn from a mistake and to grow as a person. So, while I can not speak to exactly what occurred, I accepted his apology and appreciate his humanness.
Young was arrested late Thursday night/early Friday morning last week and charged with assault and a hate crime for allegedly having a physical and verbal altercation with tourists and a panhandler in New York. He rejoined the Tigers today.
Based on my long history of meeting with rabbis to discuss things I’d done wrong Delmon Young will be expelled from Hebrew school soon.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)