May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
While serving his seven-game suspension for, among other things, allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks, Delmon Young met with Detroit-area rabbi Joshua Bennett of Temple Israel.
Bennett described the meeting as coming from “a mutual reaching out” initiated in part by the Tigers and Young’s agent, and told Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News that they had “a really wonderful conversation.”
Here’s more from Bennett:
I realized in the wake of it that while I obviously don’t know all of the details, and much of the story is very unclear, in speaking to Delmon I find him to be sincere, contrite and remorseful of the way things played out in regard to the incident, in terms of the impact on the team, the fans, the Jewish community, and the community at-large.
Although this will take some time, and his actions ultimately will prove what he says, Jewish tradition teaches me that everyone deserves a chance to learn from a mistake and to grow as a person. So, while I can not speak to exactly what occurred, I accepted his apology and appreciate his humanness.
Young was arrested late Thursday night/early Friday morning last week and charged with assault and a hate crime for allegedly having a physical and verbal altercation with tourists and a panhandler in New York. He rejoined the Tigers today.
Based on my long history of meeting with rabbis to discuss things I’d done wrong Delmon Young will be expelled from Hebrew school soon.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 49
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)