May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
While serving his seven-game suspension for, among other things, allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks, Delmon Young met with Detroit-area rabbi Joshua Bennett of Temple Israel.
Bennett described the meeting as coming from “a mutual reaching out” initiated in part by the Tigers and Young’s agent, and told Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News that they had “a really wonderful conversation.”
Here’s more from Bennett:
I realized in the wake of it that while I obviously don’t know all of the details, and much of the story is very unclear, in speaking to Delmon I find him to be sincere, contrite and remorseful of the way things played out in regard to the incident, in terms of the impact on the team, the fans, the Jewish community, and the community at-large.
Although this will take some time, and his actions ultimately will prove what he says, Jewish tradition teaches me that everyone deserves a chance to learn from a mistake and to grow as a person. So, while I can not speak to exactly what occurred, I accepted his apology and appreciate his humanness.
Young was arrested late Thursday night/early Friday morning last week and charged with assault and a hate crime for allegedly having a physical and verbal altercation with tourists and a panhandler in New York. He rejoined the Tigers today.
Based on my long history of meeting with rabbis to discuss things I’d done wrong Delmon Young will be expelled from Hebrew school soon.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)