Delmon Young met with a rabbi in Detroit and had “a really wonderful conversation”

May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Delmon Young AP AP

While serving his seven-game suspension for, among other things, allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks, Delmon Young met with Detroit-area rabbi Joshua Bennett of Temple Israel.

Bennett described the meeting as coming from “a mutual reaching out” initiated in part by the Tigers and Young’s agent, and told Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News that they had “a really wonderful conversation.”

Here’s more from Bennett:

I realized in the wake of it that while I obviously don’t know all of the details, and much of the story is very unclear, in speaking to Delmon I find him to be sincere, contrite and remorseful of the way things played out in regard to the incident, in terms of the impact on the team, the fans, the Jewish community, and the community at-large.

Although this will take some time, and his actions ultimately will prove what he says, Jewish tradition teaches me that everyone deserves a chance to learn from a mistake and to grow as a person. So, while I can not speak to exactly what occurred, I accepted his apology and appreciate his humanness.

Young was arrested late Thursday night/early Friday morning last week and charged with assault and a hate crime for allegedly having a physical and verbal altercation with tourists and a panhandler in New York. He rejoined the Tigers today.

Based on my long history of meeting with rabbis to discuss things I’d done wrong Delmon Young will be expelled from Hebrew school soon.

1. number42is1 - May 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I kid you not. I read this while on the phone with a client and the title had me cracking up. i had to fake a cough to put the call on mute. I can only picture Bart sitting with Rabbi Krustofsky and laugh uncontrollably.

2. mattintoledo - May 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Young is considering converting to Judaism for the jokes.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that

3. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Stand by for Koufax and RandyGNYC to jump in and talk about Yom Kippur and Pesach

• koufaxmitzvah - May 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Right. Because that’s what we do, me and Randy. Get all Jewy with our holidays and shit.

Meanwhile, your contributions of insipid bullshit have been noted, Champ.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Insipid is a big word, did you have to look it up to use it right?

• dirtfrompeedysuniform - May 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Not that i don’t think Brokeass is a ginornomus tool, but anybody who doesn’t agree with you is anti-Semite.To borrow from another religion you are and can be a pious asshole. I’ve read the old testament a couple of times, granted I don’t know as much as you apparently; but, I don’t recall seeing the word Jewy.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

In terms of most your commentary here, brokeass, yes.

As for Dumbass posting right afterwards, care to point out how I call all pro-DHers anti-Semites? Or all Dittoheads on these boards anti-Semites? At least be a man about it, Dumbass. Bring the quotes and the links. Otherwise, your sour grapes at my personal being says a lot more about you than me.

I’m not here looking for friends. But if you’re one of those posters who is going to post inflammatory rhetoric about any ethnicity, I’ll call your sorry Dumbass out on it.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

You tell me Koufax don’t let him get away with that shit, you just keep that self righteous thing going its working well. You take this thing way to serious. If you didn’t get enough presents at your bar mitzvah don’t take it out on us.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

What is a pro-DHer or a dittohead and should I be offended?

4. sictransitchris - May 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

oy vey…

• deathmonkey41 - May 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Beat me too it, you meshugener

5. darthicarus - May 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

So Young admitted to being apologetic for the way things played out, but not what he said? (or “allegedly” said) Interesting.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Folks in alcoholic rages tend to not remember what they said.

6. seanb20124 - May 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Some of his best friends are ? Well you know

7. The Baseball Idiot - May 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Lets see, the Rabbi said he found Young to be human, we should let him learn from mistake, and forgive him?

Obviously, the Rabbi is not a registered commenter on this site.

8. takingbovadasmoney - May 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Delmon Young and rabbi walk into a bar…

• Old Gator - May 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

…and both have too much to drink. Young, who is used to that, just falls asleep. But the rabbi, he gets sick and throws up all over Young’s lap. Young feels something wet that smells funny and starts to wake up and this rabbi is thinking, oy, what am I gonna do, he’s gonna kill me, and Young wakes up, and he looks down at his lap and his eyes widen in horror and he turns and glares at the rabbi, and the rabbi says “feeling better now, hmmmmmmm?”

• stex52 - May 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Damn it, you beat me to it.

• Old Gator - May 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I’m a time zone ahead of you, is all.

9. jwbiii - May 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM

So a guy, while drunk, behaves like an asshole. Same guy, while sober, behaves in a reasonable manner. I gotta write this stuff down.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3926)