May 4, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Eldred was called up last week after absolutely destroying Triple-A pitching and manager Jim Leyland talked about “running him out there” to see if he could provide some power, but he’s a 31-year-old journeyman with a sub par track record in the majors and obviously the Tigers weren’t exactly committed to giving him an extended look.
Leyland has already said that Young won’t immediately rejoin the starting lineup because he hasn’t been with the team in a week and the manager first wants him to get some practice reps. And of course Young was also hitting just .242 with a .644 OPS in 18 games before being arrested in New York last Thursday night/Friday morning on assault and hate crime charges.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)