May 4, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Bryce Harper has started his big-league career 6-for-16 (.375) with four doubles and last night became just the fourth 19-year-old since 1980 to bat third in a major-league game.
Just in case that wasn’t enough evidence to suggest he’s not going back to the minors, general manager Mike Rizzo basically confirmed that Harper is in the majors to stay.
While speaking at the National Press Club today, Rizzo explained that the Nationals initially were open to the idea of Harper’s call-up being only temporary–and still haven’t ruled it out–but have since changed their view:
We’re not dumb, either. This guy is performing admirably in the big leagues. We feel he’s got a chance to really impact the ball club. He’s a special talent. So you have to throw ordinary development curves out the window if you have to. You have to be able to be light on your feet and utilize the assets that you have. If he is performing the way he’s performing now, there’s no way in hell I can get Davey Johnson to get rid of him.
That can change in a hurry if Harper goes into an extended slump, but barring that he’s probably seen the last of the minor leagues.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)