May 4, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Bryce Harper has started his big-league career 6-for-16 (.375) with four doubles and last night became just the fourth 19-year-old since 1980 to bat third in a major-league game.
Just in case that wasn’t enough evidence to suggest he’s not going back to the minors, general manager Mike Rizzo basically confirmed that Harper is in the majors to stay.
While speaking at the National Press Club today, Rizzo explained that the Nationals initially were open to the idea of Harper’s call-up being only temporary–and still haven’t ruled it out–but have since changed their view:
We’re not dumb, either. This guy is performing admirably in the big leagues. We feel he’s got a chance to really impact the ball club. He’s a special talent. So you have to throw ordinary development curves out the window if you have to. You have to be able to be light on your feet and utilize the assets that you have. If he is performing the way he’s performing now, there’s no way in hell I can get Davey Johnson to get rid of him.
That can change in a hurry if Harper goes into an extended slump, but barring that he’s probably seen the last of the minor leagues.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)