May 4, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
Probably never a good idea to make life decisions within 24 hours of something bad happening, but Mariano Rivera has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do:
Mariano: “I am coming back. Write it down in big letters. … I’m not going out like this.”
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) May 4, 2012
Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support. I will be ok.I will be back.
— Mariano Rivera (@MarianoRivera) May 4, 2012
Wow. And while it is somewhat shocking to see him say it so forcefully so soon after his injury, is there any doubt in the world that he can? He is still in peak condition, even at his age. And he is still the best reliever in baseball.
Can’t wait for the return.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)