May 4, 2012, 4:55 PM EST
Probably never a good idea to make life decisions within 24 hours of something bad happening, but Mariano Rivera has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do:
Mariano: “I am coming back. Write it down in big letters. … I’m not going out like this.”
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) May 4, 2012
Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support. I will be ok.I will be back.
— Mariano Rivera (@MarianoRivera) May 4, 2012
Wow. And while it is somewhat shocking to see him say it so forcefully so soon after his injury, is there any doubt in the world that he can? He is still in peak condition, even at his age. And he is still the best reliever in baseball.
Can’t wait for the return.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)