Jhonny Peralta hits a whalkoff homer

May 4, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT

Peralta_Jhonny

No, not a typo. Apparently Tigers fans call it that when Jhonny Peralta hits a walkoff homer. The stuff I learn by having a girlfriend who  roots for Detroit. Ain’t it adorable?

The game was tied at two before Gordon Beckham hit a two-run homer in the seventh. But Detroit got one back the next inning when Miguel Cabrera drove one in.  Then in the ninth, Alex Avila‘s hit a single before Peralta ended it with a homer to right, giving the Tigers a 5-4 win.

Fun: For the second time in the past week (that I saw anyway), Jim  Leyland pinch-ran Gerald Laird for Alex Avila (it was Laird who came around to score on the homer). Query: is Gerald Laird really faster than Avila? I kinda doubt it.  And by pinch running, you lose one of your better hitters in Avila if the game goes into extras.  Not sure I get it.

Not that it mattered tonight.  Or, should I say, tohnight.

1. Gordon - May 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

The headline isn’t as funny as your joke about having a girlfriend. Good one…you crack me up.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

That’s not very nice.

2. randygnyc - May 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Maybe avilla’s legs are hurting and Leyland doesn’t want to push it?

3. whammy24 - May 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Chris Sale would have nailed down that save.

4. jonrox - May 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Gerald Laird does have a reputation as a quick player, and not just among catchers. Plus, Avila has already played 80% of the games, is it really necessary to have him in every single inning of those games, especially considering how broken down he was by the end of last season?

5. hushbrother - May 5, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Avila’s actually a horrid hitter.

6. Detroit Michael - May 5, 2012 at 5:15 AM

That was Peralta’s first walkoff homer as a Tiger.

7. bigleagues - May 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM

In a passing glance, the headline skews perilously close to “WhackOff Homer” . . . which is exactly what I call it when I dash home for lunch and enjoy a little me time.\\

:-0

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3729)