May 4, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
No, not a typo. Apparently Tigers fans call it that when Jhonny Peralta hits a walkoff homer. The stuff I learn by having a girlfriend who roots for Detroit. Ain’t it adorable?
The game was tied at two before Gordon Beckham hit a two-run homer in the seventh. But Detroit got one back the next inning when Miguel Cabrera drove one in. Then in the ninth, Alex Avila‘s hit a single before Peralta ended it with a homer to right, giving the Tigers a 5-4 win.
Fun: For the second time in the past week (that I saw anyway), Jim Leyland pinch-ran Gerald Laird for Alex Avila (it was Laird who came around to score on the homer). Query: is Gerald Laird really faster than Avila? I kinda doubt it. And by pinch running, you lose one of your better hitters in Avila if the game goes into extras. Not sure I get it.
Not that it mattered tonight. Or, should I say, tohnight.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)