May 4, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
No, not a typo. Apparently Tigers fans call it that when Jhonny Peralta hits a walkoff homer. The stuff I learn by having a girlfriend who roots for Detroit. Ain’t it adorable?
The game was tied at two before Gordon Beckham hit a two-run homer in the seventh. But Detroit got one back the next inning when Miguel Cabrera drove one in. Then in the ninth, Alex Avila‘s hit a single before Peralta ended it with a homer to right, giving the Tigers a 5-4 win.
Fun: For the second time in the past week (that I saw anyway), Jim Leyland pinch-ran Gerald Laird for Alex Avila (it was Laird who came around to score on the homer). Query: is Gerald Laird really faster than Avila? I kinda doubt it. And by pinch running, you lose one of your better hitters in Avila if the game goes into extras. Not sure I get it.
Not that it mattered tonight. Or, should I say, tohnight.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)