May 4, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
No, not a typo. Apparently Tigers fans call it that when Jhonny Peralta hits a walkoff homer. The stuff I learn by having a girlfriend who roots for Detroit. Ain’t it adorable?
The game was tied at two before Gordon Beckham hit a two-run homer in the seventh. But Detroit got one back the next inning when Miguel Cabrera drove one in. Then in the ninth, Alex Avila‘s hit a single before Peralta ended it with a homer to right, giving the Tigers a 5-4 win.
Fun: For the second time in the past week (that I saw anyway), Jim Leyland pinch-ran Gerald Laird for Alex Avila (it was Laird who came around to score on the homer). Query: is Gerald Laird really faster than Avila? I kinda doubt it. And by pinch running, you lose one of your better hitters in Avila if the game goes into extras. Not sure I get it.
Not that it mattered tonight. Or, should I say, tohnight.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)