May 4, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
An irresistible force — Natitude — has defeated an immovable object — umpire Joe West:
“Country” Joe West scratched for tonight’s game. There will be three umpires. He would have been at first base.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) May 4, 2012
And because he’s Joe West, he has already screwed the game up, even in his absence. In the first inning Bryce Harper took a walk on a questionable check swing. Because there was no ump at third base, it was very difficult for anyone to handle the appeal and it may have been a bad call (I didn’t have the game on). Charlie Manuel came out an argued it and got ejected.
This is why Joe West is a pro, folks. His influence is always felt.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)