May 4, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
An irresistible force — Natitude — has defeated an immovable object — umpire Joe West:
“Country” Joe West scratched for tonight’s game. There will be three umpires. He would have been at first base.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) May 4, 2012
And because he’s Joe West, he has already screwed the game up, even in his absence. In the first inning Bryce Harper took a walk on a questionable check swing. Because there was no ump at third base, it was very difficult for anyone to handle the appeal and it may have been a bad call (I didn’t have the game on). Charlie Manuel came out an argued it and got ejected.
This is why Joe West is a pro, folks. His influence is always felt.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)