May 4, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
An irresistible force — Natitude — has defeated an immovable object — umpire Joe West:
“Country” Joe West scratched for tonight’s game. There will be three umpires. He would have been at first base.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) May 4, 2012
And because he’s Joe West, he has already screwed the game up, even in his absence. In the first inning Bryce Harper took a walk on a questionable check swing. Because there was no ump at third base, it was very difficult for anyone to handle the appeal and it may have been a bad call (I didn’t have the game on). Charlie Manuel came out an argued it and got ejected.
This is why Joe West is a pro, folks. His influence is always felt.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)