May 4, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
An irresistible force — Natitude — has defeated an immovable object — umpire Joe West:
“Country” Joe West scratched for tonight’s game. There will be three umpires. He would have been at first base.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) May 4, 2012
And because he’s Joe West, he has already screwed the game up, even in his absence. In the first inning Bryce Harper took a walk on a questionable check swing. Because there was no ump at third base, it was very difficult for anyone to handle the appeal and it may have been a bad call (I didn’t have the game on). Charlie Manuel came out an argued it and got ejected.
This is why Joe West is a pro, folks. His influence is always felt.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (107)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)