May 4, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
An irresistible force — Natitude — has defeated an immovable object — umpire Joe West:
“Country” Joe West scratched for tonight’s game. There will be three umpires. He would have been at first base.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) May 4, 2012
And because he’s Joe West, he has already screwed the game up, even in his absence. In the first inning Bryce Harper took a walk on a questionable check swing. Because there was no ump at third base, it was very difficult for anyone to handle the appeal and it may have been a bad call (I didn’t have the game on). Charlie Manuel came out an argued it and got ejected.
This is why Joe West is a pro, folks. His influence is always felt.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 65
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)