May 4, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Peralta qualified for the save since the tying run was on deck as he entered. Brandon Gomes gave up a leadoff homer to Cliff Pennington in a 7-1 game to start the ninth and then allowed a single, hit a batter and walked another in the process of recording two outs. Peralta entered with the bases loaded and got Kila Ka’aihue, a .229 career hitter, to ground out to first to end the game.
Between Peralta and Fernando Rodney, the Rays have 11 saves this season, but four of them have been of the one- or two-out variety. In just two of the saves has the reliever protected a one-run lead for one or more innings.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 38
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29