Keith Olbermann really doesn’t think that Rivera should have been shagging fly balls

May 4, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

marianorivera-920p.standard

I’m sure Keith Olbermann had written this up in memo form for the Yankees years ago and had planned on sending them to warn them of the dangers of Mariano Rivera shagging fly balls before games. Probably didn’t get there because of some technical problem out of his control:

Girardi is right: Shagging flies has always been integral to Rivera’s pre-game routine, his exercise regimen, and his simple enjoyment of baseball. But that doesn’t mean it was the right thing to do, nor the smart thing – just that nobody this good had previously sustained a potentially career-threatening injury.

Shagging flies is not an inherently dangerous thing like jumping on trampolines and stuff.  The guy has been doing that for decades and it wasn’t a problem.  The fact that he got hurt doing it doesn’t make it “the wrong thing to do.” Just “a bad thing that went down.”

Indeed, I believe it was Ezra Pound who put it best when he said: “shit happens.”  That applies here too.

1. CliffC - May 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wait. You’re telling me Forrest Gump didn’t create “shit happens”. Next you’re going to tell me he didn’t call in Watergate…. A little piece of me has died.

In all seriousness, Keith Olberman is an idiot and it’s just a brutal day as a Yankees fan.

• skids003 - May 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

For real. Hey Keith, guess what, nobody gives a sh*t what you think. Only MSNBC was dumb enough to pay that idiot for running his mouth, and voiceing his stupid opinions.

• mrjavascript - May 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

It’s a bad day for baseball fans in general. I root for the O’s, and I still want to see Mo recover and pitch for the Yankees in October.

2. vansloot - May 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Even on Baseball Tonight (not a bastion of enlightened thought) there was general agreement that this was just a freak accident and not a situation to second-guess Rivera or Girardi.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Love the comment about Baseball Tonight. It couldn’t be more true.

3. manute - May 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The most “dangerous” aspect of shagging flies is the running. Running is a part of most athletes’ exercise regimens. Kind of hard to avoid there, Keith.

4. bojangles83 - May 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Might as well wrap him up in bubble wrap till you give the signal to being him in……come on, this was a freak accident.

Get real.

• ThisIsBaseball - May 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Bubble Boy!

5. dsmaxsucks - May 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Be sure to tell us when he blocks you on twitter.

6. jwbiii - May 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Shagging fly balls is fun (assuming one enjoys playing baseball) and is being a good teammate. From everything I’ve read, Rivera enjoys playing baseball and is a good teammate, so he shags flies.

• istillbelieveinblue - May 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

This is far different from the kind of shagging Jeter does.

7. Detroit Michael - May 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Not that I’m claiming he was as good as Mariano Rivera, but Mark Fidrych’s first injury occurred when he was shagging flyballs in spring training 1977.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I like turtles.

• heyblueyoustink - May 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I like Tacos

• mcsnide - May 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

OK, that made me literally LOL. Well played, sir.

• Old Gator - May 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You know the story of the snail who’s crawling through the woods when a big old box turtle crosses his path? Well this box turtle doesn’t see the snail and just lumbers right over him, crunch! Hours later, the snail wakes up in traction in the hospital. The nurse says, some cub scouts found you and brought you to the emergency room unconscious. What happened to you? And the snail says, I dunno, it all happened so fast.

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

So does that mean it’s an epidemic? Like other things caused by shagging?

8. ningenito78 - May 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Shit happens. Like Hardballtalk writing about Keith Olberman and acting like anybody cares about him.

• Joe - May 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Whenever I read “who cares what Person X thinks?” I understand it to mean “I don’t like Person X.”

9. gordongetgo - May 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Word is that Mariano’s next career will be as a limousine driver just to have Olberman will ignore him completely…

10. gordongetgo - May 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

THIS JUST IN: Word is that Mariano’s next career will be as a limousine driver just so Olberman will ignore him completely…

11. mntreehugger - May 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM

He probably shouldn’t have been driving to the game also, since there is probably a greater chance of him getting hit by a bus than to tear his ACL shagging fly’s. Olberman is, and has always been a fool.

Terrible injury, but like Craig said, it was just a bad thing that went down. I was looking forward to him not pitching against the Twins because the Yanks were so far out in front, there was no need for a closer.

12. mcsnide - May 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Wait, Keith Olbermann said something obnoxious to draw attention to himself? Knock me over with a feather.

13. azvikefan - May 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I was hoping to never see that liberal POS olbermann’s name again. Thanks Craig.

• dexterismyhero - May 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Same here azvikefan—– and his head is bigger than Peyton Mannings.

• Old Gator - May 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Sorry guys, he’s going to be around. Hunker down in your lead-lined dimwitted conservative mental bunker and try to deal with it with as much spite and bile and you can.

• gordongetgo - May 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Old Gator – Spite and bile? are you talking about Olbermann? For he once said: “In Scott Brown we have an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, tea bagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees,” Olbermann concluded. Uh-huh. Olbermann’s a douche and its OUR fault.

• stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Fellows…pay zero attention to Gator’s tree hugging, warm and fuzzy backing…propping people up so they don’t have to themselves crap. Overall…he is a good guy.
        You should know as a Teacher/Professor it is against the law for him to NOT be a liberal.
        They would put him in jail for any hint of conservatism. Albeit a very plush…warm and fuzzy…propped up sorta’ jail. But you get the picture…Gator’s okay.
        Just know he has now opened the door for you to bust his balls when he gets all “warm and fuzzy”…”save the ice crustaceans in antartica”…”don’t drill for oil”…in his posts.
        Still love ya’ Gator!

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Olbermann.

• azvikefan - May 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

he doesn’t deserve to capitalize his name utey.

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Right. That’s what I meant.

14. Jonny 5 - May 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The only reason not to freeze him in carbonite between games is the temporary blindness it causes.

15. ras1tafari - May 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Both Olbermann and Rick Reilly need to open up a bed and breakfast in Vermont together and never make a public comment on anything ever again.

16. hockeyphreak - May 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Who cares what Kieth Olbermann thinks….. he can’t even hold a freakin’ job…. it’s baseball it’s what they do….

17. mybrunoblog - May 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Excuse me guys. I ate McDonalds last night and washed it down with a few beers. I gotta visit the bathroom
    and take a nasty “Olbermann”

Olbermann is to talk media as what Roger Clemens is to honesty.

18. gordongetgo - May 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Chuck Knoblach’s errant throw was 41 years too late…

19. randygnyc - May 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I’m sure lots of people have an opinion about Mariano. Why mention one of this countries most divisive scumbags, KO? That POS’ name doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Mariano.

20. stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Keith Olberman is a freaking Tool. Junior Seau commits suicide on Wednesday morning. I got drilled in the face with a Softball Wednesday night (likely fracturing my jaw). Mariano quite possibly has his career ended shagging flys (like he always does). And now MCA dies.
    I am leaving work in about 30 minutes to have x-rays done on my jaw.
    Then I am going to the liquor store.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I like the part about leaving work early to go to the liquor store.

• stlouis1baseball - May 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Yeah…I am think whiskey tonight. And I don’t drink much whiskey.

21. lucidsportsfan - May 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

ACL tears are so unpredictable and fluky. Look at the video for Derrick Rose last week, and Wes Welker two years ago: http://www.lucidsportsfan.com/2012_04_29_archive.html#8207801110364784017

22. spudatx - May 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Why does anyone even listen to Olberman anymore? He’s a lousy sensationalist, not a news reporter.

• Utley's Hair - May 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Don’t think he ever claimed to be a reporter, did he? As opposed to some others…

23. metalhead65 - May 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

you know rivera is class guy when all baseball fans are sorry this happened to him. we can still hate the yankees but respect the man for what he has done as long as he has done it. kieth oberman?yeah not so much.

24. drewzducks - May 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Once a deuche always a deuche. To paraphrase Ron Burgundy… stay classless Keith.

25. deathmonkey41 - May 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hasn’t Keith Olbermann been fired from enough places now where we don’t need to listen to him anymore? Never could stand him- such a condescending doosh.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3049)