May 4, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Mike Pelfrey is out for the season following Tommy John surgery and the Mets’ various options to replace him in the rotation aren’t very appealing, but general manager Sandy Alderson made it very clear that the team isn’t going to call up any of its top pitching prospects for a short-term fix.
Zack Wheeler, who was acquired from the Giants in the Carlos Beltran trade, is 21 years old at Double-A and currently sidelined by a finger injury.
Matt Harvey, who was the Mets’ first-round pick in 2010, is 23 years old at Triple-A and currently sporting a 4.80 ERA through six starts.
And his Triple-A rotation-mate, 22-year-old Jeurys Familia, has a 5.06 ERA with 25 walks in 27 innings.
In other words, even if Alderson had a different stance on the rotation situation and wanted to call one of them up they aren’t ready to thrive in the majors right now anyway. And realistic Mets fans should be happy that Alderson is taking the long-term view after the previous regime so often needlessly rushed prospects with predictably poor results.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)