May 4, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Mike Pelfrey is out for the season following Tommy John surgery and the Mets’ various options to replace him in the rotation aren’t very appealing, but general manager Sandy Alderson made it very clear that the team isn’t going to call up any of its top pitching prospects for a short-term fix.
Zack Wheeler, who was acquired from the Giants in the Carlos Beltran trade, is 21 years old at Double-A and currently sidelined by a finger injury.
Matt Harvey, who was the Mets’ first-round pick in 2010, is 23 years old at Triple-A and currently sporting a 4.80 ERA through six starts.
And his Triple-A rotation-mate, 22-year-old Jeurys Familia, has a 5.06 ERA with 25 walks in 27 innings.
In other words, even if Alderson had a different stance on the rotation situation and wanted to call one of them up they aren’t ready to thrive in the majors right now anyway. And realistic Mets fans should be happy that Alderson is taking the long-term view after the previous regime so often needlessly rushed prospects with predictably poor results.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)