May 4, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
In trading standout reliever Ernesto Frieri to the Angels yesterday the Padres picked up a prospect they hope will be their long-term second baseman in Alexi Amarista.
He doesn’t project as a star player and for now Amarista is at Triple-A anyway, but Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that the clock may be ticking on the Padres’ current double-play duo of veterans Orlando Hudson and Jason Bartlett.
In fact, Hayes writes that “team sources have confirmed that neither player is in the Padres’ long-term plans” and “both could be released before the season ends.”
Bartlett is hitting .164 and has a $5.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for next season that vests if he reaches 432 plate appearances, which could make it tough to unload him via trade. Hudson is hitting .210 and has an $8 million option or $2 million buyout for next season, but with no plate appearance-based vesting he might be a bit easier to unload if San Diego eats all the remaining salary.
Whatever the case, Hayes clearly thinks there’s a good chance Amarista and Everth Cabrera are the Padres’ double-play duo in the second half. And maybe before then.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)