May 4, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
I’ve had a little back and forth with Nats fans on Twitter today over “Natitude” a the whole “Take Back the Park” thing for this weekend’s series against the Phillies.
Now, I don’t need to prove to anyone what I think about a certain brand of Phillies fan, so believe me, when I say this, it’s not because I think it’s just peachy that Phillies fans have made Nats Park their new home. But that’s beside the point. My view — and I realize not everyone shares it — is that the Nats should have just laid low about it all and not make a big deal over Phillies fans taking over the park. I think that the whole initiative reeks of insecurity and may actually have the opposite effect, encouraging Phillies fans.
Check out the scene in Philly – from the Philadelphia Daily News — as people board buses for DC:
Now, tell me: when they get to Nats Park today, are they gonna have a great photo op under the banner pictured on this post over at DC Sports Bog?
I dunno. I just think that you win games, ignore idiots and eventually you have your park filled with loyal, local fans. Like any bully, you just encourage these guys with such a major reaction.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)