May 4, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
I’ve had a little back and forth with Nats fans on Twitter today over “Natitude” a the whole “Take Back the Park” thing for this weekend’s series against the Phillies.
Now, I don’t need to prove to anyone what I think about a certain brand of Phillies fan, so believe me, when I say this, it’s not because I think it’s just peachy that Phillies fans have made Nats Park their new home. But that’s beside the point. My view — and I realize not everyone shares it — is that the Nats should have just laid low about it all and not make a big deal over Phillies fans taking over the park. I think that the whole initiative reeks of insecurity and may actually have the opposite effect, encouraging Phillies fans.
Check out the scene in Philly — from the Philadelphia Daily News — as people board buses for DC:
Now, tell me: when they get to Nats Park today, are they gonna have a great photo op under the banner pictured on this post over at DC Sports Bog?
I dunno. I just think that you win games, ignore idiots and eventually you have your park filled with loyal, local fans. Like any bully, you just encourage these guys with such a major reaction.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)