May 4, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
I’ve had a little back and forth with Nats fans on Twitter today over “Natitude” a the whole “Take Back the Park” thing for this weekend’s series against the Phillies.
Now, I don’t need to prove to anyone what I think about a certain brand of Phillies fan, so believe me, when I say this, it’s not because I think it’s just peachy that Phillies fans have made Nats Park their new home. But that’s beside the point. My view — and I realize not everyone shares it — is that the Nats should have just laid low about it all and not make a big deal over Phillies fans taking over the park. I think that the whole initiative reeks of insecurity and may actually have the opposite effect, encouraging Phillies fans.
Check out the scene in Philly – from the Philadelphia Daily News — as people board buses for DC:
Now, tell me: when they get to Nats Park today, are they gonna have a great photo op under the banner pictured on this post over at DC Sports Bog?
I dunno. I just think that you win games, ignore idiots and eventually you have your park filled with loyal, local fans. Like any bully, you just encourage these guys with such a major reaction.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)