May 4, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Earlier this evening I saw someone tweeting about Miguel Tejada and the Orioles signing a deal. I followed it back to the source and found some sketchy looking Spanish language report that claimed to be based on Tejada’s Twitter account. Except, as Enrique Rojas of ESPN noted, Tejada doesn’t have a Twitter account.
Hahaha, I said to myself, how silly for someone to fake a Miguel Tejada to the Orioles report. I mean, what’s the point of faking something so minor and, really, so unnecessary and doomed to failure?
The Orioles are closing in on signing veteran infielder Miguel Tejada and he will report to the team’s Spring Training facility in Sarasota, Fla. on Monday to take a physical.
Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said the team received favorable reports about Tejada, who is 37, and he will work out for the foreseeable future in extended spring. The two sides have not reached an exact contract agreement, but that’s expected as long as Monday’s workout and physical go smoothly.
Or, maybe, the joke’s on anyone in the Oriole’s organization who thinks that Tejada has anything left in the tank. He hit .239/.270/.326 with the Giants last year, who cut him. THE GIANTS. They were combing the high schools last year, looking for assistant JV coaches who may have played semi-pro ball in the 90s to see if they could help the offense, for cryin’ out loud.
Oh well. Good luck to all involved. Just don’t pin any hopes on this translating to any major league value whatsoever.
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 31
- Futures Game lineups: Team USA vs. Team World 6
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 27
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)