May 4, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Earlier this evening I saw someone tweeting about Miguel Tejada and the Orioles signing a deal. I followed it back to the source and found some sketchy looking Spanish language report that claimed to be based on Tejada’s Twitter account. Except, as Enrique Rojas of ESPN noted, Tejada doesn’t have a Twitter account.
Hahaha, I said to myself, how silly for someone to fake a Miguel Tejada to the Orioles report. I mean, what’s the point of faking something so minor and, really, so unnecessary and doomed to failure?
The Orioles are closing in on signing veteran infielder Miguel Tejada and he will report to the team’s Spring Training facility in Sarasota, Fla. on Monday to take a physical.
Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said the team received favorable reports about Tejada, who is 37, and he will work out for the foreseeable future in extended spring. The two sides have not reached an exact contract agreement, but that’s expected as long as Monday’s workout and physical go smoothly.
Or, maybe, the joke’s on anyone in the Oriole’s organization who thinks that Tejada has anything left in the tank. He hit .239/.270/.326 with the Giants last year, who cut him. THE GIANTS. They were combing the high schools last year, looking for assistant JV coaches who may have played semi-pro ball in the 90s to see if they could help the offense, for cryin’ out loud.
Oh well. Good luck to all involved. Just don’t pin any hopes on this translating to any major league value whatsoever.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)