The Orioles are going to sign Miguel Tejada

May 4, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT

Miguel Tejada

Earlier this evening I saw someone tweeting about Miguel Tejada and the Orioles signing a deal. I followed it back to the source and found some sketchy looking Spanish language report that claimed to be based on Tejada’s Twitter account. Except, as Enrique Rojas of ESPN noted, Tejada doesn’t have a Twitter account.

Hahaha, I said to myself, how silly for someone to fake a Miguel Tejada to the Orioles report. I mean, what’s the point of faking something so minor and, really, so unnecessary and doomed to failure?

Joke’s on me, though:

The Orioles are closing in on signing veteran infielder Miguel Tejada and he will report to the team’s Spring Training facility in Sarasota, Fla. on Monday to take a physical.

Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said the team received favorable reports about Tejada, who is 37, and he will work out for the foreseeable future in extended spring.  The two sides have not reached an exact contract agreement, but that’s expected as long as Monday’s workout and physical go smoothly.

Or, maybe, the joke’s on anyone in the Oriole’s organization who thinks that Tejada has anything left in the tank. He hit .239/.270/.326 with the Giants last year, who cut him. THE GIANTS. They were combing the high schools last year, looking for assistant JV coaches who may have played semi-pro ball in the 90s to see if they could help the offense, for cryin’ out loud.

Oh well. Good luck to all involved. Just don’t pin any hopes on this translating to any major league value whatsoever.

1. opshuns - May 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Are you crazy? Did they see him with the Giants last year. Pathetic… Hey maybe Orlando Cabrera is out there also.

• georgia - May 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Tejada and Cabrera should not be allowed with any team. Not even the Padres. I would trust Cory Luebke (their ace starter) at the plate more. Maybe even at a position too.

2. ezthinking - May 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’m impressed that these guys still head out on minor league deals to play. They should be celebrated that they’re still trying. Doesn’t mean the should or will play, but they’re obviously not out for ‘just a paycheck.’

• georgia - May 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Okay, Okay. I’ll give you that one.

I refuse to give Jose Canseco the same credit though.

3. skerney - May 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Another day, another post where Craig finds a way to bait Giants fans. So lame.

4. DJ MC - May 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The only real problem with signing Tejada for additional depth and insurance for whatever the Orioles decide to do at third base is that they already signed Bill Hall for the same thing, and at least he’s five years younger.

I’m not sure who wants a third Miguel Tejada sighting in Baltimore. There are still people who grumble over his FIRST time through, let alone his second.

5. randomdigits - May 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

It is a minor league deal, if he passes the physical and a 7-10 day evaluation period in extended spring training. The O’s are not even on the hook financially for the evaluation period.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2462)