May 4, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
26 games into the 2012 season, the Philadelphia Phillies are hitting .256/.300/.361. It’s not the worst OPS for major league teams — the Marlins, Cubs, Padres, Pirates, Nationals and A’s all fare worse — but it is pretty bad, particularly since the Phillies play in a better hitter’s ballpark than most of those other clubs. Their isolated slugging percentage of .105 is next to worst in the majors, barely ahead of the Nationals at .104. Even the light-hitting Padres are at .114 despite their Petco Park time.
So, I thought it’d be fun to take a glance at some of the players who compare best with these 2012 Phillies…. those who hit closest to .256/.300/.361 over significant careers.
Joe McEwing – .251/.302/.355 in nine seasons
Tom Pagnozzi – .253/.299/.359 in 12 seasons
Luis Sojo – .261/.297/.352 in 14 seasons
Gerald Laird – .242/.301/.360 in his 10th season
Billy Martin – .257/.300/.369 in 12 seasons
Jose Macias – .256/.298/.371 in seven seasons
So, yeah, the Phillies are even getting outslugged by Jose Macias. On the plus side, they’re not too far away from hitting like a Hall of Famer. Bill Mazeroski came in at .260/.299/.367 during his 17-year career.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)