Albert Pujols not in Angels’ starting lineup Saturday

May 5, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT

pujols getty Getty Images

Thinking that a day of rest might help Albert Pujols both mentally and physically, Angels manager Mike Scioscia is giving the first baseman his first full off-day on Saturday against the Blue Jays. Pujols didn’t even take pregame batting practice and is not expected to be available for pinch-hitting duties.

This according to the Orange County Register.

“I’m just going to give him a little breather…” Scioscia explained. “Sometimes when you’re trying to find something and you’re pounding your head against the wall… if you take that half-step back and take that half-step to the right, there’s that huge door.”

Pujols went 0-for-4 with a strikeout on Friday night and is now batting just .194/.237/.269 on the year.

Mark Trumbo is starting at first base and Alberto Callaspo is playing third base on Saturday night.

1. proudlycanadian - May 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

So far today, I have received from Hardball Talk, 37 unwanted comments that were posted on the earlier Pujols thread. I have not given Word Press the authority to send any posts to me. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Old Gator - May 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Yeah, I am too. I figured I must have somehow checked off a box somewhere but since I haven’t been over on the back end of my WordPress account – too many deformed cats, abandoned rusting Yugos and Cambodian expatriates fishing around in the dumpsters back there – I can’t figure out how I managed to do that.

2. bchapman2011 - May 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Enjoy the next 10 years Angels fans. You should have asked to see Ablert’s birth certificate before you signed him. Had you done that you would have seen that he is 35 or 36 already.

• Old Gator - May 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Oh no – was he born in Indonesia too? Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin will be sooooooo scandalized!

• Big Ed Robles - May 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Isn’t Albert Pujols a Muslim, too?

• aceshigh11 - May 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Albert HUSSEIN Pujols??

He’s a Dominican usurper, setting records previously held by good white, Christian ballplayers.

And I bet he’s after our white women, too.

It gets harder and harder to parody those people…

• chill1184 - May 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I don’t see the big scandal here, all it is so far is that another hot free agent is not cracked up to be what he was before the big deal. Sucks for the Halos but not exactly out of the ordinary.

3. randygnyc - May 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Pujols was quoted earlier as saying, (and I’m paraphrasing), “I’m patient, I’ll be here for the next 10 years, so you should be patient too”

If Albert hits .275 with 20 hrs, with his contract, they’ll never win a WS.

4. dawglb - May 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The dude needs a night off. Though he is not producing, doesn’t mean he isn’t working. This could be the turning point. Sometimes all it takes is a little dinky blooper to get it going…..

• bchapman2011 - May 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

This is a sign of something much worse. He has gotten off to horrible starts two years in a row. That is age catching up to him in a hurry and the Angels are on the hook for 10 years.

5. test2402 - May 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

This is hilarious.

6. mybrunoblog - May 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Albert doesn’t need a day off. He needs a frighing time machine to go back and change his idiotic decision to leave the Cardinals.
    Oh wait, no such machine exists? Enjoy the next ten season Albert.

7. aglawman - May 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Angel fans, remember this: ONLY TWO THINGS ARE CERTAIN – DEATH…AND TEXAS!!!

8. sasquash20 - May 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Yeah he is struggling but he had a good spring. I think this is just a bad start to the season, he will rebound and smack 30-35 HR and 85-100 RBI

• jimbo75025 - May 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Perhaps so, but even those numbers do not justify his bloated contract……..

• racksie - May 6, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Yeah, getting batting practice from guys who end up at double A ball, really help in the regular season. It’s spring training. The numbers mean squat. Obviously.

9. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I don’t understand why so many people are eager to tap dance on Pujols’ grave if he IS indeed in irreversible decline.

Just go over to baseball-reference and look at his stats over his first 10 seasons…those numbers are nearly, if not TOTALLY, unprecedented.

This is a guy who never hit under .300 until last year, when he hit .299, or who never had less than 100 RBI, when he had 99.

Okay, he left the Cardinals, but he did help them win two World Series.

All I’m saying is it’s sad for the entire sport of baseball if one of the most transcendent players in its entire history falls off a cliff production-wise in the span of one or two seasons.

• paperlions - May 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I’m sorry, but I like baseball because it is a great sport. Any player could have a career ending injury tomorrow, and while I would feel very bad for the player, it would not affect my love of baseball at all. Like all fans, I enjoy following particular players….but if one is retired/injured…there is always another to take his place.

A sad day for baseball was when the Expos moved.

A sad day for baseball was when the new CBA was signed that allowed a cap on amateur spending, which severely hurt the ability for small market teams to build from within and also severely extends the rebuilding process for organizations.

Compared to those things (and many others), what is happening to Pujols right now doesn’t even register.

• aceshigh11 - May 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

You make some good points.

Maybe I was a little over-the-top, but Pujols is still a once-in-a-generation talent, and it’s a pleasure watching someone like that play the game.

10. btwicey - May 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I cant wait till he starts being Albert again, haters gon hate.

11. godcanfirealdavis - May 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

No single individual is worth that.. Especially in a team sport like baseball… I’m sure he is “really” only 32 years old as well. More like 34 or 35. 10 year contract? Good luck with that one Los Angeles angels of….. Whatever.

12. chumthumper - May 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM

As long as it’s not about the money.

13. brockohol - May 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

being that god told Albert and his wife to take the angels contract, I wonder when he is going to start helping with his hitting

• paperlions - May 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Albert probably forgot to point toward heaven after a HR during ST and this is punishment.

14. angrycorgi - May 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Apparently, the answer to the Angels’ problems is to get Pooholes OFF the field. They looked fine last night.

15. swu32733 - May 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Everyone needs to calm down and catch your breath. Albert is seeing a lot if new pitchers in a new league. It will all work out and he will hit well in due course.

• cintiphil - May 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

SWU:
      That is a very foolish comment, because he has seen a lot of pitchers in his career, and some are on AL teams he is now facing. All of those different pitchers he faced when he came up with the Cardinals didn’t seem to bother him, but now they do? Lets face it. Even I am concerned, and I am one of Alberts biggest fans even in Cinti. He may be just pressing too much however, but this is different from all other years he has been playing. He has never had numbers this bad in any year for any period/month, he played, so far. The problem he will have is if this continues for much longer, he will certainly be booed very badly in LA, unlike what he would have faced back home. In the mid west (except Chicago), we do not treat our stars like most other areas. Albert has to get it going fast, or I can hear the boo birds getting to him and try to run him out of town.

1. H. Pence (2149)