May 5, 2012, 5:44 PM EST
Gonzalez was injured on a successful steal of second base in the second inning and was replaced by Cesar Izturis. He’ll undergo an MRI on the knee and could land on the DL with Gomez on Sunday.
Shortstop has been a big problem in the Milwaukee organization since J.J. Hardy was traded. Izturis can still pick it pretty well, but he hasn’t had an extra-base hit since 2010 (truly, he hasn’t). Behind him is the defensively challenged Brooks Conrad, so the Brewers almost certainly will need to make a move for a shortstop if Gonzalez is going to miss more than a couple of days. Calling up Edwin Maysonet from Triple-A is the likely choice.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)