May 5, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
Gonzalez was injured on a successful steal of second base in the second inning and was replaced by Cesar Izturis. He’ll undergo an MRI on the knee and could land on the DL with Gomez on Sunday.
Shortstop has been a big problem in the Milwaukee organization since J.J. Hardy was traded. Izturis can still pick it pretty well, but he hasn’t had an extra-base hit since 2010 (truly, he hasn’t). Behind him is the defensively challenged Brooks Conrad, so the Brewers almost certainly will need to make a move for a shortstop if Gonzalez is going to miss more than a couple of days. Calling up Edwin Maysonet from Triple-A is the likely choice.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)