Former major leaguer Chad Curtis under investigation for touching students

May 5, 2012, 8:58 PM EST

Chad Curtis AP

Chad Curtis, who played 10 seasons in the majors before retiring in 2001, has been suspended from his volunteer high school position amid allegations that he inappropriately touched students.

Curtis, who denied the allegations, had been volunteering at Lakewood High School near Lake Odessa. He was slated to become the school’s head football coach this fall. He hasn’t been charged with a crime.

Curtis played for six big-league teams as a sometimes starter, sometimes fourth outfielder. He had his best run with the Yankees, hitting .263/.366/.400 with 27 homers in 340 games over three seasons. In 1999, he hit a walkoff homer to win Game 3 of the World Series for the Bombers. He also spent three seasons with the Angels, two with the Rangers and two with the Tigers.

While Curtis ended his career with a modest 101 homers and 461 RBI, he had a higher profile than many similar players, largely because of his willingness to express his Christian viewpoints. He also incited a modest controversy in the 1999 World Series when he refused to be interviewed by NBC’s Jim Gray. Gray had ruffled feathers earlier in the series by picking a poor time to go after Pete Rose about gambling accusations.

1. redguy12588 - May 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM

How hard did you have to look to find that picture?

• Matthew Pouliot - May 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Wish I had easier access to my baseball cards… I’m sure I have a few Curtis rookies in there I could have scanned in.

2. drewsylvania - May 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Could easily be one of those “putting a hand on someone’s shoulder” things that strict speaking are violations of that rule. Let’s see what the details end up being.

3. mybrunoblog - May 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

You guys must have looked for hours trying to find the picture before posting. Hope this is not some creepy touchy story.
    I remember hearing that Curtis was a real strong Christian holy roller but you never know with this type of stuff.
    Be interesting to hear from what law enforcement people involved have to say.

• Matthew Pouliot - May 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

What I found odd is that none of the three Michigan-based articles I looked at indicated whether the alleged victims were female or male.

• Gobias Industries - May 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I can’t imagine why that’s odd or even relevant – but I heard that it involved four female students.

• Kevin S. - May 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Yeah, when it comes to child molestation, most research has found that it’s the age that’s relevant, not the gender.

• mlblogssoule - May 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM

his religious convictions are irrelevant. Thery have been far too many priests bjshops and Popes who have molested and/or inappropriately touched children. But I agree that we the public should wait if/until he’s charged with a crime before passing judgement.

4. test2402 - May 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Kid toucher.

5. randygnyc - May 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Im really hoping this is innocent and nothing sexual in nature.

• sasquash20 - May 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You got to be kidding me 4 people hope that it was in a sexual manner. WTF is wrong with people.

6. alexb64 - May 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’d be more inclined to assume innocence if it were “student” instead of “students”, one can be a lie or a misunderstanding taken out of context etc. Multiple allegations is a little more troublesome.

7. brewcrewfan54 - May 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I always wonder if thingslike this should even be brought to our attention before he’s been charged with a crime. Charged or not now many people will now always suspect he did something wrong.

• Reflex - May 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

This is something that bothers me too. What if he’s innocent? People will always regard him as the guy who had such allegations against him. I have no idea how to handle it though, if he’s guilty you want people to know as soon as possible…

8. AlohaMrHand - May 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Chad Sandusky?

9. stairwayto7 - May 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Stay classy former Yankees!

10. adiddie - May 6, 2012 at 4:19 AM

8 year olds dude

• stercuilus65 - May 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

* year olds?

Thank God, I thought he might be a pervert…

• paperlions - May 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

did you “capitalize” the 8 for emphasis?

11. rip4gehrig - May 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Who cares about Curtis, hopefully it isnt true for the childrens sake.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4769)
  2. M. Kemp (3776)
  3. M. Cabrera (2950)
  4. J. Kang (2904)
  5. J. Upton (2688)
  1. M. Morse (2645)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2382)
  3. A. Rios (2324)