May 5, 2012, 8:58 PM EDT
Chad Curtis, who played 10 seasons in the majors before retiring in 2001, has been suspended from his volunteer high school position amid allegations that he inappropriately touched students.
Curtis, who denied the allegations, had been volunteering at Lakewood High School near Lake Odessa. He was slated to become the school’s head football coach this fall. He hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Curtis played for six big-league teams as a sometimes starter, sometimes fourth outfielder. He had his best run with the Yankees, hitting .263/.366/.400 with 27 homers in 340 games over three seasons. In 1999, he hit a walkoff homer to win Game 3 of the World Series for the Bombers. He also spent three seasons with the Angels, two with the Rangers and two with the Tigers.
While Curtis ended his career with a modest 101 homers and 461 RBI, he had a higher profile than many similar players, largely because of his willingness to express his Christian viewpoints. He also incited a modest controversy in the 1999 World Series when he refused to be interviewed by NBC’s Jim Gray. Gray had ruffled feathers earlier in the series by picking a poor time to go after Pete Rose about gambling accusations.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)