May 5, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
5:30 p.m. EDT update: Street confirmed Saturday that he would go on the disabled list with his strained lat muscle. Miles Mikolas has joined the Padres and is expected to take Street’s roster spot.
Huston Street immediately knew something was wrong when he threw ball four to Logan Morrison in the 10th inning last night, walking off the mound following only a very brief conversation with manager Bud Black and the Padres’ trainer.
It turns out Street strained his shoulder and the Padres closer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine the damage.
For whatever it’s worth Street said afterward that he doesn’t think the injury is serious and the soreness is closer to his armpit than his shoulder, which he called “a positive sign.” However, for a closer to leave a tie game in extra innings with the winning run on base suggests it wasn’t just a minor problem and Street’s lengthy injury history adds to the level of concern.
San Diego picked up Street for pennies on the dollar after he fell out of favor in Colorado and he’s been fantastic, converting all four save chances with a 0.93 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings. If he needs a trip to the disabled list Andrew Cashner and his high-90s fastball would seemingly be the obvious choice to fill in, particularly after the Padres traded setup man Ernesto Frieri to the Angels earlier this week.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)