May 5, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
5:30 p.m. EDT update: Street confirmed Saturday that he would go on the disabled list with his strained lat muscle. Miles Mikolas has joined the Padres and is expected to take Street’s roster spot.
Huston Street immediately knew something was wrong when he threw ball four to Logan Morrison in the 10th inning last night, walking off the mound following only a very brief conversation with manager Bud Black and the Padres’ trainer.
It turns out Street strained his shoulder and the Padres closer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine the damage.
For whatever it’s worth Street said afterward that he doesn’t think the injury is serious and the soreness is closer to his armpit than his shoulder, which he called “a positive sign.” However, for a closer to leave a tie game in extra innings with the winning run on base suggests it wasn’t just a minor problem and Street’s lengthy injury history adds to the level of concern.
San Diego picked up Street for pennies on the dollar after he fell out of favor in Colorado and he’s been fantastic, converting all four save chances with a 0.93 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings. If he needs a trip to the disabled list Andrew Cashner and his high-90s fastball would seemingly be the obvious choice to fill in, particularly after the Padres traded setup man Ernesto Frieri to the Angels earlier this week.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)