May 5, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
5:30 p.m. EDT update: Street confirmed Saturday that he would go on the disabled list with his strained lat muscle. Miles Mikolas has joined the Padres and is expected to take Street’s roster spot.
Huston Street immediately knew something was wrong when he threw ball four to Logan Morrison in the 10th inning last night, walking off the mound following only a very brief conversation with manager Bud Black and the Padres’ trainer.
It turns out Street strained his shoulder and the Padres closer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine the damage.
For whatever it’s worth Street said afterward that he doesn’t think the injury is serious and the soreness is closer to his armpit than his shoulder, which he called “a positive sign.” However, for a closer to leave a tie game in extra innings with the winning run on base suggests it wasn’t just a minor problem and Street’s lengthy injury history adds to the level of concern.
San Diego picked up Street for pennies on the dollar after he fell out of favor in Colorado and he’s been fantastic, converting all four save chances with a 0.93 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings. If he needs a trip to the disabled list Andrew Cashner and his high-90s fastball would seemingly be the obvious choice to fill in, particularly after the Padres traded setup man Ernesto Frieri to the Angels earlier this week.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 37
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)