May 5, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
5:30 p.m. EDT update: Street confirmed Saturday that he would go on the disabled list with his strained lat muscle. Miles Mikolas has joined the Padres and is expected to take Street’s roster spot.
Huston Street immediately knew something was wrong when he threw ball four to Logan Morrison in the 10th inning last night, walking off the mound following only a very brief conversation with manager Bud Black and the Padres’ trainer.
It turns out Street strained his shoulder and the Padres closer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine the damage.
For whatever it’s worth Street said afterward that he doesn’t think the injury is serious and the soreness is closer to his armpit than his shoulder, which he called “a positive sign.” However, for a closer to leave a tie game in extra innings with the winning run on base suggests it wasn’t just a minor problem and Street’s lengthy injury history adds to the level of concern.
San Diego picked up Street for pennies on the dollar after he fell out of favor in Colorado and he’s been fantastic, converting all four save chances with a 0.93 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings. If he needs a trip to the disabled list Andrew Cashner and his high-90s fastball would seemingly be the obvious choice to fill in, particularly after the Padres traded setup man Ernesto Frieri to the Angels earlier this week.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 23
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 12
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 64
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)