May 5, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
5:30 p.m. EDT update: Street confirmed Saturday that he would go on the disabled list with his strained lat muscle. Miles Mikolas has joined the Padres and is expected to take Street’s roster spot.
Huston Street immediately knew something was wrong when he threw ball four to Logan Morrison in the 10th inning last night, walking off the mound following only a very brief conversation with manager Bud Black and the Padres’ trainer.
It turns out Street strained his shoulder and the Padres closer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine the damage.
For whatever it’s worth Street said afterward that he doesn’t think the injury is serious and the soreness is closer to his armpit than his shoulder, which he called “a positive sign.” However, for a closer to leave a tie game in extra innings with the winning run on base suggests it wasn’t just a minor problem and Street’s lengthy injury history adds to the level of concern.
San Diego picked up Street for pennies on the dollar after he fell out of favor in Colorado and he’s been fantastic, converting all four save chances with a 0.93 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio in 10 innings. If he needs a trip to the disabled list Andrew Cashner and his high-90s fastball would seemingly be the obvious choice to fill in, particularly after the Padres traded setup man Ernesto Frieri to the Angels earlier this week.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)