Marlins remove Heath Bell from ninth-inning role

May 5, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT

After watching Heath Bell blow his fourth save in seven chances Friday against the Padres, the Marlins are finally ready to make a change. Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald brings the breaking news:

Edward Mujica, Ryan Webb and Steve Cishek seem likely to split save opportunities going forward.

Bell signed a three-year, $27 million free agent contract with the Fish this offseason after posting a dominant 2.53 ERA, 9.4 K/9 and 134 saves in five years for the Padres. Through his first 8 2/3 innings with Miami, the 34-year-old right-hander has registered an 11.42 ERA, 6.2 K/9 and only three converted saves.

1. randygnyc - May 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

The new look Marlins.

2. xmatt0926x - May 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I know Bell was never Mr. Atlas but does he just look extremely out of shape this year? I’ve only seen him on the highlights but he just looks really heavy this year.

3. biasedhomer - May 5, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I had a feeling the team signing Bell would regret it.

4. test2402 - May 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Funny how it all works out.

5. Spiro Agnew - May 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It looks like the Marlins are gonna be the next Mets. All these big long-term contracts which don’t seem to be paying off.

• scooper15928 - May 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I wouldn’t go that far. Sure Bell hasn’t paid off, and Reyes is in a bit of a slump, but so far this season Mark Buehrle and Carlos Zambrano have a better ERA than Johnson, Nolasco or Sanchez. So far, Buehrle is having a career year, and Zambrano almost looks like himself again. Reyes is in a bit of a slump, but I’m not too worried about that. The only move that pisses me off so far in the season is Bell, which is unfortunate as I thought it was a good move when they first signed him.

6. dawglb - May 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Some people can’t handle the money. The ball is the same. The mound is the same. What’s different? Oh,… The paycheck that is fatter than the man who brings it home.

• biasedhomer - May 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

And the fact that he is pretty old, and no longer can call the large confines of PETCO his hime

• biasedhomer - May 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

And the fact that he is pretty old, and no longer can call the large confines of PETCO his home

• NJgriffNC - May 6, 2012 at 2:54 AM

• Old Gator - May 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Except that he can call the immense prairies of Macondo Banana Massacre Field his home instead. He hasn’t given anything up there. Bell’s problem isn’t the outfield, it’s the area directly above and slightly off to the sides of home plate.

7. Old Gator - May 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I’m not worried about Bell for the long term. Everyone goes through funks – I remember, speaking of the Mutts, a horrible one that Tug McGraw endured one year, – I’m going to guess it was 1974 – but then snapped out midseason and was dominant again for the duration. Bell will figure it out eventually.

Mark Buehrle pitched another gem tonight, handcuffing the Fryers on a run on five hits with 21 ground ball outs in a complete game performance as the Feesh won their fifth in a row – so that one’s paying off. The strange attractor is now close enough – one game – that they can climb a ladder and lick its soft white underbelly. Tomorrow, the rubber game (a term that has always amused me in this era of STDs), we’ll see if the Rainbow Warriors can climb aboard their magic carpet of mediocrity again.

The real stinker so far has been Jose Reyes, who’s hitting in Mendoza country but his OBP is around a hundred points higher than his BA, which means he’s still drawing a lot of walks and getting on base. I’m not worried about Reyes for the long haul either.

John Buck I expected to suck, and he’s really about the worst of the boondoggle contracts the Feesh have inked the last two years. But the most frightening situation is Josh Johnson’s loss of velocity, but more importantly, his inability to locate his pitches. I suspect that the latter issue is causing him to let up on his fastball and hard curve and slider a bit in an attempt to find his control again, hence the apparent slowdown. Regardless, his line is so horrible (for JJ) that I don’t even want to repeat it here.

8. phillyphever - May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Wonder if he’s like Albert and regretting leaving SD for the money.

• phillyphever - May 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

And before anyone jumps on me, yes I know my team sucks.

• Old Gator - May 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM

You’re assuming that Albert regrets leaving STL for the money. I suppose if your situations were reversed, you’d give back that quarter billion dollars in an augenblick, right?

• phillyphever - May 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Actually, there was a report (I forget where I read it) that says Albert is regretting leaving St. Louis for the money. I guess he learned money doesn’t buy you happiness.

• Old Gator - May 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’d be willing to bet that Albert wasn’t the “source” of that report. Anyway, he claims to talk this stuff over with God. If he does have any regrets, then, it would put him in the same category with Bill Cosby’s Noah.

9. godcanfirealdavis - May 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Fatass….

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3113)