May 5, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
There’s a flu bug going around the Cubs clubhouse and the latest victim is Matt Garza, with manager Dale Sveum saying this morning that the right-hander is “iffy” to make his scheduled Sunday start.
Garza was originally supposed to start today before being pushed back in the rotation and Dave Van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs have “summoned” Travis Wood from Triple-A to be on call in case Garza can’t pitch against the Dodgers.
Wood was acquired from the Reds in the Sean Marshall trade and has an ugly 5.18 ERA in five starts at Triple-A, but that comes along with a strong 30/8 K/BB ratio in 28 innings and the 25-year-old southpaw has a 4.18 ERA in 209 career innings as a big leaguer.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)