May 5, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Josh Johnson missed the final four months of last season with a shoulder injury and has looked nothing like his old self early on this year, leading manager Ozzie Guillen to worry that the Marlins ace is still hurting.
Last night Johnson failed to make it out of the third inning against the Padres, allowing six runs while recording just one strikeout in the shortest start of his career. Before the injury last season Johnson was nearly unhittable with a 1.64 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 60 innings, but he now has a 6.61 ERA through six starts along with a career-low 7.4 strikeouts per nine frames.
Asked about Johnson’s status, Guillen told Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
I just wonder if he’s not feeling good. He says he feels good, but his stuff is not there. A lot of bad pitches. I think right now what is killing him is he does not have any command with his pitches.
Johnson brushed aside thoughts of an injury, saying simply that “when you throw the ball over the middle of the plate, you’re going to get hit.” However, in looking at his radar gun readings it’s easy to see a decline in raw stuff. Johnson has averaged 92.6 miles per hour with his fastball this year, which is well above-average velocity … and a significant dropoff from his average of 94.9 mph in 2010 and 93.8 mph in 2011.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)