May 5, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Josh Johnson missed the final four months of last season with a shoulder injury and has looked nothing like his old self early on this year, leading manager Ozzie Guillen to worry that the Marlins ace is still hurting.
Last night Johnson failed to make it out of the third inning against the Padres, allowing six runs while recording just one strikeout in the shortest start of his career. Before the injury last season Johnson was nearly unhittable with a 1.64 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 60 innings, but he now has a 6.61 ERA through six starts along with a career-low 7.4 strikeouts per nine frames.
Asked about Johnson’s status, Guillen told Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
I just wonder if he’s not feeling good. He says he feels good, but his stuff is not there. A lot of bad pitches. I think right now what is killing him is he does not have any command with his pitches.
Johnson brushed aside thoughts of an injury, saying simply that “when you throw the ball over the middle of the plate, you’re going to get hit.” However, in looking at his radar gun readings it’s easy to see a decline in raw stuff. Johnson has averaged 92.6 miles per hour with his fastball this year, which is well above-average velocity … and a significant dropoff from his average of 94.9 mph in 2010 and 93.8 mph in 2011.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)