May 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
No official move has been made yet, but Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Gomez is almost surely bound for the disabled list tonight or tomorrow, leaving Nyjer Morgan and Norichika Aoki to split time in center field.
It’s not an ideal time-sharing arrangement because both Morgan and Aoki are left-handed hitters, and losing Gomez hurts because in addition to his always excellent range defensively he was off to a good start at the plate with a .280 batting average and .801 OPS in 21 games.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)