May 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
No official move has been made yet, but Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Gomez is almost surely bound for the disabled list tonight or tomorrow, leaving Nyjer Morgan and Norichika Aoki to split time in center field.
It’s not an ideal time-sharing arrangement because both Morgan and Aoki are left-handed hitters, and losing Gomez hurts because in addition to his always excellent range defensively he was off to a good start at the plate with a .280 batting average and .801 OPS in 21 games.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)