May 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
No official move has been made yet, but Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Gomez is almost surely bound for the disabled list tonight or tomorrow, leaving Nyjer Morgan and Norichika Aoki to split time in center field.
It’s not an ideal time-sharing arrangement because both Morgan and Aoki are left-handed hitters, and losing Gomez hurts because in addition to his always excellent range defensively he was off to a good start at the plate with a .280 batting average and .801 OPS in 21 games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)