May 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
No official move has been made yet, but Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Gomez is almost surely bound for the disabled list tonight or tomorrow, leaving Nyjer Morgan and Norichika Aoki to split time in center field.
It’s not an ideal time-sharing arrangement because both Morgan and Aoki are left-handed hitters, and losing Gomez hurts because in addition to his always excellent range defensively he was off to a good start at the plate with a .280 batting average and .801 OPS in 21 games.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)