Settling the Scores: Friday’s results

May 5, 2012, 6:43 AM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays' Alvarez celebrates after pitching a complete game shutout against the Los Angeles Angels in Anaheim

Look, I may have been on the clock on Friday night, and I may be posting this Saturday morning, but if you think I’m gonna do a full-blown Saturday “And That Happened,” well, you just don’t know my kids very well.

They’re eating Lucky Charms and watching the Cartoon Network and I’m sure they plan on absolutely killing me today with six and eight year-old stuff today, so you’re lucky I can even find the darn scoreboard right now.

But I do know that Henderson Alvarez pitched a Maddux last night and Albert Pujols went 0 for 4. Some things you don’t need to be coherent to know.

Indians 6, Rangers 3

Cubs 5, Dodgers 4

Tigers 5, White Sox 4

Reds 6, Pirates 1

Rays 7, A’s 2

Yankees 6, Royals 2

1. uyf1950 - May 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM

One of the few games so far this season the Yankees pitching and hitting worked together to get the win. Now if only they could continue it and get a nice streak going.

• uyf1950 - May 5, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Oh and by the way. Even though yesterday’s game didn’t qualify Robertson for the save he did look pretty darn good.

2. Old Gator - May 5, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Last night was one of the great cliffhanger adventures for the Feesh since Captain Kirk and his bus went over the railing. After Heath Bell blew the save in the bottom of the 9th – and then, like Jason and his crew fighting off the skeleton army, stranded a basesfull hoarde of Padres to crawl into extra innings – Steve Cishek, who doesn’t even look old enough to be up that late, gutted out three rough innings of (necessarily) shutout baseball to harvest his win in the 12th when Omar-the-one-man-army Infante doubled in the Hanster. You had to give the Padres credit for clawing away at the lead during those extra innings.

The Feesh opened the scoring in the first with five in the first, but then Josh Johnson got raped for five runs in the third. This is getting trez serious, people. Something is really wrong with JJ, and unlike Heath Bell, within whose head you can hear the loose marbles rolling around as he waddles in from the boolpen, it should not be misdiagnosed as SBD.

The game ended well past my bedtime but I was afraid that Craig would have conked out by then, so I gutted it out myself.

• APBA Guy - May 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Cishek now 4-0, on pace for 26-0.

3. proudlycanadian - May 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Not only did he pitch a Maddux, Alvarez finally got some run support. The two complete game shut outs over the Angels by Toronto pitchers followed 2 complete game shut outs by Angels pitchers. Drabek is trying for the shut out today.

• cur68 - May 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Someone woke up Buatista’s bats. This is good. So far he’s reduced a number of them to kindling and matchsticks while only getting high atmosphere frost on many baseballs. Last few games, though, he’s been actually putting the wood to the back of the ball, rather than the sole. Maybe he finally broke down and gave Jobu his rum? Good. S’long as the pitchers keep pitching like they have, with JB, Encarnacion, Lawrie & Johnson getting on base at a decent clip (or rounding them often: I’m not picky), the Beaver Wrestlers have a chance to hang with the Rays and Orioles…something about this sentence seems odd…

Pujols now…wtf? Did anyone see this epic drought coming? Perhaps the barkeep needs to get Jobu a re-fill? Just do it tomorrow, Phat Al. For today, you keep doing what you do: line out to short and have a seat.

• cur68 - May 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Forgot to mention: Ervin Santana has now gone 5 straight without any run support. No pitcher has been shut out that many in a row before to start a season. Spare a thought for Ervin, eh? He’s alone out there. All alone.

• proudlycanadian - May 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I benched Ervin from my fantasy team and replaced him with Drabek.

• cur68 - May 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Smart move. I, however, benched Alvarez, *bangs head on wall*. It just looked like Tommy Milone stood a better chance against the BoSox than Alvarez did against the Angels. Little did I realize that the Angels where gonna make some no-run-support history while Alverez pitched a Maddux to out-duel poor old Ervin Santana. Oy, oy, oy….

• Lukehart80 - May 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

The Maddux comes in just the 16th game of Alvarez’s career. Here’s a look at where that puts him historically, if you’re interested:

• proudlycanadian - May 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thank you for the information.

• Lukehart80 - May 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You’re very welcome.

4. mississippimusicman - May 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I almost didn’t turn on the Braves-Rockies game last night when I saw the score was 5-0… but then I thought, “Hey, it’s Coors Field, anything could happen!” Turns out, it was a pretty exciting game after all.

5. APBA Guy - May 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The A’s did what I expected against Price and, in their own way, provided a decent Trop crowd with a crowd pleasing moment: at 10 strike-outs, every Rays fan in attendance received a voucher for pizza. The A’s are the Washington Generals of baseball.

• wlschneider09 - May 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Easy now, you’re gonna have to fight the Twins for that title. Pitchers no-hit the twins.

Sigh.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2883)