May 5, 2012, 9:18 AM EDT
Matt Kemp will begin making $20 million a year next season. The Dodgers second-highest obligation? Frank McCourt! Or at least his company, which will get $14 million a year from the team for rent on the parking lots surrounding Dodger Stadium.
How much of that actually goes to McCourt is not clear — others own the company that owns the parking lots along with him — but suffice it to say, he’ll be making millions off the Dodgers, basically indefinitely.
Bill Shaikin has the details of the land use agreement which was part of the team’s sale but which, due to some legal wrangling over their confidentiality, were not known before now. I imagine the amount of lucre that McCourt is making despite his feckless management of the Dodgers is the sort of thing everyone would want to keep quiet as long as they can. I’d be embarrassed anyway.
McCourt got rich off parking lots in Boston. He was an abject failure as the owner of a baseball team. He’s going to make what amounts to a separate, independent fortune off parking lots in L.A. He’s a walking embodiment of the Peter Principle.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)