May 6, 2012, 10:54 AM EDT
But it wasn’t $250 million man Albert Pujols.
With Albert getting his first day off of the season on Saturday night, last year’s starting first baseman Mark Trumbo drew the nod and launched his fourth home run of 2012 as the Angels snapped a two-game losing streak by besting the Blue Jays 6-2.
Trumbo now has a healthy .904 OPS and 11 RBI.
Pujols, meanwhile, is batting just .194/.237/.269 with no home runs and five RBI in 27 games. He’s struck out 15 times and drawn only four walks in by far the worst start to a season in his major league career.
Pujols will return to the Angels’ lineup Sunday and probably won’t get another day of rest this month no matter how bad things get. But let it be noted that Anaheim is 1-0 with Pujols absent and 10-17 with him starting.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)