Andy Pettitte gives up five runs in Triple-A start

May 6, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT

Andy Pettitte Getty Images

Making his first Triple-A start since beginning his comeback, Andy Pettitte gave up five runs — three earned — and eight hits in five innings Sunday against the Pawtucket Red Sox.

Pettitte wasn’t helped by his defense in the game. First baseman Steve Pearce dropped a foul popup on the very first play of the game, and Pedro Ciriaco went on to hit a double in the at-bat, starting a two-run inning that Pettitte only got out of by picking off Lars Anderson at first base. There was another error in the second.

The 39-year-old Pettitte did end the outing by retiring the final five hitters he faced. He threw 59 of his 92 pitches for strikes.

Pettitte has now made four minor league starts and given up 10 runs — seven earned — in 17 innings overall. He’s struck out 13 and walked three. His pitch count is built up to the point that he’s now a viable option for the Yankee rotation. However, given his mediocre showing today, it’d probably make sense to give him one more Triple-A start.

1. sabatimus - May 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I bet he picked off Anderson with his patented balk move to first base.

2. brewcrewfan54 - May 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Woops!

3. electstat - May 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I’m not sure I’d call 3 earned runs in 5 innings getting “rocked”.

4. xmatt0926x - May 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

He may well not have much left in the tank at his age but I wouldn’t decide that based on triple-A work. This is a guy who’s seen and done it all at the major league level. I have to believe he needs the adrenaline of major league games to get the best out of him.

5. romoscollarbone - May 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

A guy like Pettite is not necessarily pitching for wins in a AAA start. He may be working a pitch, focusing only on location, break etc. you cant always gauge his performance by the statistical results.

6. jwbiii - May 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

This is his second straight bad outing.

When do you start wondering?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Wondering about what? It’s the minors. You should look more at peripherals (velocity, k/bb ratio, etc) than results.

• ugglasforearms - May 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I started wondering when I heard he was coming back.

7. pftcensorssuck - May 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Hope he falls flat on his face, after waffling against Clemens last week.

• anxovies - May 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

What did you expect him to do, change the testimony he gave to Congress in order to convict Roger?

8. pellypell - May 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I have to imagine he is working on his “stuff”. This is his Spring Training, where pitchers tend to work out the kinks. Who knows what these numbers will translate to once he joins the rotation.

9. drewzducks - May 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

More importantly can this count as a win for the Sox ?

10. cackalackyank - May 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I am not shocked by this, but even if he has enouugh in the tank to pitch in majors again successfully, I do not think this is going to solve the Yankees problems. The AL East is looking tougher than ever this year and the injury bug is biting hard already. I ask again does anyone know Roy Oswalt’s phone number? If you add him and Pettitte maybe by the time one wears out, the other will be ready…sort of a tag team rotation, call it “CC and a cast of many”.

11. shanabartels - May 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I attended the game Pettitte started recently in Trenton. It was another case of sloppy defense behind him. There wasn’t a radar gun readout on the scoreboard at Waterfront Park so I can’t speak to that, but considering that Pettitte got some strikeouts and some whiffs (from AA hitters, but still), I’m not going to give up on the guy because the kids playing behind him aren’t as slick in the field as big leaguers. Let’s not be silly.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2490)