May 6, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Well, that opportunity might finally be here.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Brewers are “definitely” interested in signing Lee to take over as their primary first baseman.
Mat Gamel, who was pegged as Prince Fielder‘s replacement this winter, was diagnosed with a torn right ACL last week and is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery. The 26-year-old was batting just .246/.293/.348.
The Brewers also lost shortstop Alex Gonzalez recently to a knee injury. He was a real source of power in the Milwaukee lineup (with four home runs in 24 games) but might be ruled out for the rest of the year.
Lee, 36, hit .267/.325/.446 with 19 home runs and 59 RBI last season between the Orioles and Pirates.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)