May 6, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Well, that opportunity might finally be here.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Brewers are “definitely” interested in signing Lee to take over as their primary first baseman.
Mat Gamel, who was pegged as Prince Fielder‘s replacement this winter, was diagnosed with a torn right ACL last week and is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery. The 26-year-old was batting just .246/.293/.348.
The Brewers also lost shortstop Alex Gonzalez recently to a knee injury. He was a real source of power in the Milwaukee lineup (with four home runs in 24 games) but might be ruled out for the rest of the year.
Lee, 36, hit .267/.325/.446 with 19 home runs and 59 RBI last season between the Orioles and Pirates.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)